Social-networking rivals offer workaround for Google social search

January 24, 2012 By Jeremy C. Owens

Google's social-networking rivals have apparently teamed up to offer users a tool that allows them to avoid the integration of Google's core search business and Google+.

The "bookmarklet," a free browser add-on available at http://www.focusontheuser.org , instead will use Google's own algorithms to show a search result's most popular social-networking destination. That means a Facebook or account that is used more often and has more than a + profile is likely to show up.

The workaround avoids Google's recent major change to its core , which it dubbed Search Plus Your World. A user signed in to a Google account now receives personalized results based on that user's network of friends - including personal photos, and other content shared on Google+, the Mountain View, Calif., company's new social networking feature, or Google's photo-sharing service, Picasa.

According to the Focus on the User website, the downloadable add-on was developed by Facebook, Twitter and engineers, who say they wanted to answer one question: "How much better would be if Google surfaced results from all across the Web?"

Google's newest foray into debuted in June on an invitation-only basis, then opened its doors to all users and eventually entities, such as companies. Since then, it has rapidly added users, with Google executives announcing during the company's earnings report last week that 90 million users now have profiles on the social network.

When Google announced it was going to integrate Google+ content into its industry-dominating search engine, some in the industry squawked that the practice was unfair, led by Twitter, which publicly stated the practice would hurt people searching for breaking news events.

"We're concerned that as a result of Google's changes, finding this information will be much harder for everyone. We think that's bad for people, publishers, news organizations and Twitter users," the San Francisco microblogging service said in a written statement.

Facebook has never publicly voiced opposition to Google's new search algorithms, but a blog post from Wired co-founder John Battelle states that the workaround was actually developed by Facebook product director Blake Ross, who helped develop Mozilla's Firefox Web browser. Battelle writes that Ross showed him the tool last week and asked him not to share the news until Ross had time to gauge the reaction of Facebook management, lawyers and other social networks.

did not immediately respond to a request for verification of Battelle's account nor confirmation that it has a hand in the new offering. Twitter confirmed its engineers contributed to the project; Google did not immediately respond to an email request for comment.

Explore further: Google temporarily disables 'Realtime' search

0 shares

Related Stories

Google temporarily disables 'Realtime' search

July 4, 2011

Google Inc. has temporarily shut down a search engine feature that allows users to find real-time updates from Twitter, Facebook, FriendFeed and other social networking sites.

Google makes Web search more social

February 17, 2011

Google is making Web search more social, weaving posts from the Twitter, Flickr, Blogger and other accounts of a user's friends into search results.

Google+ the fastest-growing social network ever

August 3, 2011

Google is a latecomer to social networking but its new site, Google+, is growing much more rapidly than Facebook, Myspace and Twitter did in their early days, technology experts said.

Google plans social games debut

July 25, 2011

Google Inc. is planning to debut a platform for social games that would compete with offerings on Facebook.

Recommended for you

Europe's first 'eTree' puts down roots in central France

May 29, 2017

A solar tree with giant square leaves that convert sunlight into electricity was unveiled in the central French town of Nevers on Monday, allowing passers-by to charge their phones, surf the internet... or just enjoy the ...

Chinese fans trash blackout as Google AI wins again

May 25, 2017

Chinese netizens fumed Thursday over a government ban on live coverage of Google algorithm AlphaGo's battle with the world's top Go player, as the programme clinched their three-match series in the ancient board game.

0 comments

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.