North Korea denies South Korean hacking claims

(AP) -- North Korea has denied allegations by South Korea that it engaged in a hacking scheme to steal millions of dollars from online gaming sites.

The North's Committee for Peaceful Unification of the Fatherland said in a statement carried Sunday by the official Korean Central News Agency that the allegations were an unacceptable provocation and were meant to sully North Korea's image overseas.

Last week, South Korean police said they arrested five people who had collaborated with elite North Korean hackers in a ring that pocketed about $6 million over the past year and a half.

South Korean authorities have also accused of mounting cyberattacks in the past few years. The North has also denied those charges.


Explore further

N. Korea blasts South over game site hacking claims

©2011 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Citation: North Korea denies South Korean hacking claims (2011, August 15) retrieved 22 February 2020 from https://phys.org/news/2011-08-north-korea-denies-south-korean.html
This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.
0 shares

Feedback to editors

User comments