Motorola barred from turning over Huawei info

A US judge has ordered Motorola not to turn over any confidential information from China's Huawei Technologies Co. to Nokia Siemens Networks as she examines a lawsuit filed against the US telecom giant.

Huawei on Monday asked a US District Court in Illinois, where has its headquarters, to block the transfer of Huawei-developed wireless and core network communications technology to NSN, which is buying Motorola's wireless network business.

Judge Sharon Johnson Coleman late Monday issued a temporary restraining order barring Motorola from turning over confidential Huawai intellectual property information to NSN.

She did not make a ruling on the merits of the case.

Motorola last year agreed to sell its wireless network business to NSN, a joint venture between Finland's Nokia and Germany's Siemens, for $1.2 billion.

The Huawei lawsuit for "misappropriation of , , and breach of contract" named Motorola Mobility, Motorola Solutions and NSN as defendants.

Motorola split into two companies -- Motorola Mobility and Motorola Solutions -- on January 4.

Huawei, a former Motorola partner, claimed the company has not responded to its requests that Huawei-developed technology not be turned over to NSN.

"If Huawei's proprietary commercial property and information is transferred to a third party, Huawei will suffer irreparable commercial damage," it said.

Motorola Solutions rejected Huawei's claims.

"We believe this lawsuit is without merit," it said in a statement.

"As previously stated, we are targeting to complete the sale of our networks business to NSN in early 2011 following receipt of approval from China's antitrust authorities."

NSN said last month that its purchase of Motorola's wireless network infrastructure assets would be delayed pending approval from Chinese regulators.

On December 15, the gave the green light to the transaction. The deal has also received the approval of regulators in the United States.

Motorola sued Huawei in July, alleging it used Motorola employees to secure detailed about its cellular network equipment.


Explore further

Huawei sues Motorola over IP transfer to NSN

(c) 2011 AFP

Citation: Motorola barred from turning over Huawei info (2011, January 25) retrieved 31 March 2020 from https://phys.org/news/2011-01-motorola-barred-huawei-info.html
This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.
0 shares

Feedback to editors

User comments