Toshiba signs agreement for 2 nuclear plants in Texas

Feb 25, 2009 Kyodo News International

Toshiba Corp. said Wednesday it has signed an engineering, procurement and construction agreement for two new nuclear plants to be built under the U.S. South Texas Project.

The signing came after Toshiba was named prime contractor in March last year for engineering and procurement of major equipment for the plants, which would be the first two 1,400-megawatt advanced boiling water reactors in the United States.

Under the agreement with STP Nuclear Operating Co., one of the two new reactors is planned to start operation in 2016 and the other in 2017. The project covers two existing nuclear power plants in addition to the planned ABWRs.

STP Nuclear Operating is responsible for management of the overall project, acting as agent for Nuclear Innovation North America LLC, an ABWR development joint venture between Toshiba and NRG Energy Inc. of the United States, and for CPS Energy, the largest U.S. municipal electric and gas utility.

(c) 2009 MCT

Explore further: Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

A climate guide to a weird future

Dec 04, 2014

Global Weirding is an interactive visualization of the most comprehensive scientific report on climate change ever made – the IPCC's Fifth Assessment Report.

The aftermath of a tsunami

Dec 02, 2014

A research background in earthquake engineering seems at first sight like an unusual fit with studying tsunamis. But on her return from Sri Lanka in the wake of the 2004 tsunami, Professor Tiziana Rossetto ...

Recommended for you

Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

9 hours ago

Japan's biggest newspaper, Yomiuri Shimbun, featured a story about Sony Corp. on its website Friday. It wasn't about hacking. It was about the company's struggling tablet business.

Sony faces 4th ex-employee lawsuit over hack

14 hours ago

A former director of technology for Sony Pictures Entertainment has sued the company over the data breach that resulted in the online posting of his private financial and personal information.

Sony tells AFP it still plans movie release

15 hours ago

Sony Pictures boss Michael Lynton denied Friday the Hollywood studio has "caved" by canceling the release of "The Interview," and said it still hoped to release the controversial film.

2012 movie massacre hung over 'Interview' decision

Dec 19, 2014

When a group claiming credit for the hacking of Sony Pictures Entertainment threated violence against theaters showing "The Interview" earlier this week, the fate of the movie's big-screen life was all but ...

Clooney slams skittish Hollywood after Sony hack

Dec 19, 2014

Film star George Clooney slammed the Hollywood movie industry for failing to stand up against the cyber threats that prompted Sony Pictures to cancel release of the movie "The Interview."

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.