Judge rules for Floridians who lost trees

Dec 11, 2007

A Palm Beach, Fla., circuit court judge has ruled in favor of homeowners who lost citrus trees when the state tried to halt the spread of canker disease.

Canker is a bacterial disease that destroys fruit trees, the Palm Beach post reported Monday.

Judge Robin Rosenberg said the state's destruction of 66,468 trees during a disease-eradication program constituted a "taking" under the Florida Constitution and therefore required "full and just compensation."

Rosenberg's ruling was issued on behalf of homeowners whose symptomless trees were destroyed during the state's program, which required the removal of all citrus trees within a 1,900-foot radius of an infected tree.

The case will go to trial March 31 to decide the amount compensation due to homeowners.

Florida originally provided $100 Wal-Mart gift cards for the first tree cut down, and then gave homeowners $55 in cash for subsequent trees, The Washington Post said.

Attorneys for the homeowners calculate the value of the lost trees at anywhere from $350 to $1,000 each.

Copyright 2007 by United Press International

Explore further: Oceanographer Ballard elected to American Academy

add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Stopping the invasive Amur honeysuckle

Nov 01, 2012

(Phys.org)—As leaves drop in autumn, it's not only a good time to enjoy the reds, yellows and oranges drifting from the trees—it's also a good time to kill honeysuckle.

How trees withstand a storm

Sep 12, 2011

As Hurricane Katia slowly approaches the East Coast, many people are still cleaning up from Hurricane Irene, whose high winds last week caused trees to fall, leaving millions without power.

Recommended for you

Bloody souvenir not from decapitated French king: DNA

19 hours ago

Two centuries after the French people beheaded King Louis XVI and dipped their handkerchiefs in his blood, DNA analysis has thrown new doubt on the authenticity of one such rag kept as a morbid souvenir.

User comments : 0

More news stories

Google+ boss leaving the company

The executive credited with bringing the Google+ social network to life is leaving the Internet colossus after playing a key role there for nearly eight years.