California smartphone 'kill switch' bill advances

May 08, 2014 by Don Thompson

On a second attempt, California lawmakers have advanced a bill that would require electronics manufacturers to install a shut-off function in all smartphones as a way to deter what one senator called a crime wave of thefts.

The legislation by Democratic Sen. Mark Leno of San Francisco passed the Senate 26-8 Thursday.

It requires companies to produce smartphones with technology that makes them inoperable if the owner loses possession. SB962 now goes to the Assembly.

It stalled two weeks ago, but Leno says amendments since then removed opposition from Apple and Microsoft. The wireless industry remains opposed.

SB962 now applies to smartphones manufactured and sold after July 2015 and no longer includes tablets.

Explore further: California leaders push for smartphone kill switch (Update)

not rated yet
add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Wireless industry makes anti-theft commitment

Apr 16, 2014

A trade group for wireless providers said Tuesday that the biggest mobile device manufacturers and carriers will soon put anti-theft tools on the gadgets to try to deter rampant smartphone theft.

Security experts to test phone anti-theft locks

Jul 18, 2013

(AP)—The top prosecutors in San Francisco and New York say they are bringing in state and federal security experts to test the newest anti-theft features designed to thwart the surge of stolen smartphones nationwide.

Prosecutors urge use of iPhone anti-theft system

Sep 18, 2013

Top prosecutors in San Francisco and New York and the mayor of London are urging iPhone users to download Apple's new iOS 7 operating system that includes a feature they believe might curb a rash of thefts.

Recommended for you

Journalist linked to Anonymous gets five years' prison

Jan 22, 2015

A journalist also known as an informal spokesman for the hacker group Anonymous was sentenced to five years in prison Thursday in a case which rallied activists for press freedom, his supporters said.

US settles case over fake Facebook page (Update)

Jan 20, 2015

The Justice Department has reached a $134,000 settlement with a New York woman after federal drug agents used information from her cellphone to set up a fake Facebook page in her identity, a tactic that raised privacy concerns ...

User comments : 1

Adjust slider to filter visible comments by rank

Display comments: newest first

Argiod
not rated yet May 08, 2014
I suspect this is mostly a way to give the government the ability to shut off all phones to anyone engaging in any sort of protest march or demonstration...
...and, of course, blame the 'outage' on sunspots, or a computer glitch...

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.