Rocket readied at Kazakh steppe for ISS mission

Sep 28, 2009 By PETER LEONARD , Associated Press Writer
The Russian Soyuz TMA-16 booster rocket that will carry the three-man crew to the international space station is installed at the launch pad of the Russian-leased Baikonur Cosmodrome, Kazakhstan, Monday, Sept. 28, 2009. U.S. astronaut Jeffrey Williams, Russian cosmonaut Maxim Surayev, and Canadian billionaire Guy Laliberte are set to blast off for the international space station from the Baikonur Cosmodrome on Sept. 30, 2009. (AP Photo/Mikhail Metzel)

(AP) -- Workers at Russia's manned space-launch facility lifted to the launch pad on Monday a rocket that is to send Cirque du Soleil founder Guy Laliberte and two astronauts to the International Space Station.

The gleaming white and capsule moved at a walking pace across the Kazakh steppe aboard a train taking it from its assembly building to the known as Gagarin's Start. It is the spot from which the Soviet Union sent off Yuri Gagarin in 1961 to become the first human in orbital space flight.

Dozens of family members, friends and space agency officials gathered outside the assembly building shortly before daybreak to watch the start of the trip to the launch pad.

Among them was Laliberte's girlfriend, model Claudia Barilla, who said, "He's doing it for fun, but it's more to realize a childhood dream."

Laliberte is paying some $35 million for a seat on the Soyuz and 12 days aboard the ISS. He's likely to be the last paying private traveler to the station for the next few years, because the United States is soon to scuttle its program, leaving Russian spacecraft the only way to get to and from the ISS.

The 50-year-old Canadian plans to use some of his showman's flair to make the trip a memorable chapter of "space tourism," including taking along red clown noses for the crew. But he says there's also a serious side to the trip, including a planned presentation from the ISS to raise awareness about world water supply problems.

Also flying with Laliberte when the blasts off Wednesday for the two-day trip to the ISS will be astronauts Maxim Surayev of Russia and American Jeffrey Williams.

Williams, 51, is traveling to the ISS for his third time, while 37-year old Surayev will be making his maiden spaceflight.

Laliberte only signed up for the spaceflight earlier this year, after a place unexpectedly freed up, but his transition into the team of astronauts appears to have been smooth.

"They have really gelled, even though they have only been training with Guy for about a couple of weeks," said Williams' wife, Anna-Marie. "They feel very solid as a crew."

Laliberte returns to Earth next month with Russian cosmonaut Gennady Padalka and U.S. astronaut Michael Barratt, who have been at the space station since March.

Alexander Vorobyov, a spokesman for the Russian space agency Roscosmos, meanwhile hinted at a slim possibility of future opportunities for private space travel.

"Currently, there are no clear prospects for tourism, but it all depends on the Americans," Vorobyov said. "The heads of NASA and Roscosmos are due to meet (Wednesday), so we cannot make any calls on this just yet."

©2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Explore further: Launch pad where rocket exploded back next year

add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Roscosmos Calls For Launch Swaps And Bigger ISS Crew

Mar 15, 2006

The director of Roscosmos, the Russian space agency, said Tuesday that cosmonauts in the next few years would begin flying to the International Space Station aboard NASA shuttles, and U.S. astronauts would fly aboard Russian ...

Russian ship with tourist docks with space station

Mar 28, 2009

A Russian Soyuz capsule carrying second-time space tourist Charles Simonyi docked Saturday at the International Space Station, media reports quoted the control centre near Moscow as saying.

Russian ship with tourist docks with space station: reports

Mar 28, 2009

A Russian Soyuz capsule carrying second-time space tourist Charles Simonyi along with a US and a Russian astronaut docked Saturday at the International Space Station, media reports quoted the control centre near Moscow as ...

Soyuz Spacecraft To Cost NASA $65 Million

Aug 19, 2005

The Russian Space Agency Roscosmos will sell a Soyuz spacecraft, a carrier rocket and launch services to NASA for some $65 million, if the American agency approves the deal, a Roscosmos official told journalists Thursday, ...

US space tourist blasts off to space station

Mar 26, 2009

(AP) -- A Russian capsule carrying U.S. billionaire space tourist Charles Simonyi sailed into orbit Thursday after blasting off in a roar of fire for the international space station.

Recommended for you

NASA considers possibilities for manned mission to Venus

5 hours ago

(Phys.org) —NASA's Systems Analysis and Concepts Directorate has issued a report outlining a possible way for humans to visit Venus, rather than Mars—by hovering in the atmosphere instead of landing on ...

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.