Egypt says 90 percent chance of hidden rooms in Tut tomb

November 28, 2015 byNour Youssef
Egypt says 90 percent chance of hidden rooms in Tut tomb
- In this Thursday, Nov. 5, 2015 file photo, tourists look at the tomb of King Tut as it is displayed in a glass case at the Valley of the Kings in Luxor, Egypt. On Saturday, Nov. 28, 2015, Egyptian Antiquities Minister Mamdouh el-Damaty said there is a 90 percent chance that hidden chambers will be found within King Tutankhamun's tomb, based on the preliminary results of a new exploration of the 3,300-year-old mausoleum. (AP Photo/Amr Nabil, File)

Egypt on Saturday said there is a 90 percent chance that hidden chambers will be found within King Tutankhamun's tomb, based on the preliminary results of a new exploration of the 3,300-year-old mausoleum.

Researchers say the discovery of a new chamber could shine new light on one of ancient Egypt's most turbulent times, and one prominent researcher has theorized that the remains of Queen Nefertiti might be inside.

Egypt began the search for the hidden chamber last week. Announcing the results of three days of testing in the southern city of Luxor, Antiquities Minister Mamdouh el-Damaty said the findings will be sent to Japan for a monthlong analysis before the search is resumed.

Luxor, in southern Egypt, served as the pharaonic capital in ancient times, and is home to sprawling temples and several ancient tombs.

British Egyptologist Nicholas Reeves theorizes that Tutankhamun, better known as King Tut, who died at the age of 19, may have been rushed into an outer chamber of what was originally Nefertiti's tomb. Famed for her beauty, Nefertiti was the subject of a famous 3,300-year-old bust.

Reeves reached his theory after high-resolution images discovered what he said were straight lines in King Tut's tomb. These lines, previously hidden by color and the stones' texture, indicate the presence of a sealed chamber, he said. The images were later broadcast live on national television last September.

Nefertiti was the primary wife of the Pharaoh Akhenaten, who unsuccessfully attempted to switch Egypt to an early form of monotheism. Akhenaten was succeeded by a pharaoh referred to as Smenkhare and then Tut, who is widely believed to have been Akhenaten's son.

Egypt says 90 percent chance of hidden rooms in Tut tomb
- In this Tuesday, Sept. 29, 2015 file photo, the tomb of King Tut is displayed in a glass case at the Valley of the Kings in Luxor, Egypt, Tuesday. On Saturday, Nov. 28, 2015, Antiquities Minister Mamdouh el-Damaty said there is a 90 percent chance that hidden chambers will be found within King Tutankhamun's tomb, based on the preliminary results of a new exploration of the 3,300-year-old mausoleum. (AP Photo/Nariman El-Mofty, File)

Tut, Nefertiti, and Akhenaten's family ruled Egypt during one of its most turbulent times, which ended with a military takeover by Egypt's top general at the time, Horemheb. The whole family's names were wiped out from official records later on.

Reeves believes that Smenkhare is actually Nefertiti.

This is the second find to be announced this week. On Tuesday, el-Damaty said the Austrian Archaeological Institute discovered a "giant fence" dating back over 3,500 years at the site of another ancient capital city, Avaris. The sandstone fence is least 500 meters (yards) long and 7 meters (yards) thick, antiquities official Mahmoud Afifi said.

Egypt says 90 percent chance of hidden rooms in Tut tomb
In a Thursday, Oct. 1, 2015 file photo, Egypt's Antiquities Minister Mamdouh el-Damaty, speaks during a press conference in Cairo, Egypt. Egypt says there is a 90 percent chance that hidden chambers will be found within King Tutankhamun's tomb, based on the preliminary results of a new exploration of the 3,300-year-old mausoleum. Speaking at a press conference in Luxor on Saturday, Nov. 28, Mamdouh el-Damaty said the results will be sent to Japan for a month-long analysis before the search is resumed. (AP Photo/Nariman El-Mofty, File)

Explore further: Egypt pledges fast work amid search for Nefertiti's tomb

Related Stories

Egypt pledges fast work amid search for Nefertiti's tomb

October 1, 2015

Egyptian authorities promised Thursday they would move quickly to get new radar equipment needed to search for Queen Nefertiti's tomb amid a new theory it could be in an alleged, hidden chamber behind King Tutankhamun's tomb ...

Official says Egypt approves radar for Nefertiti tomb quest

September 22, 2015

The Egyptian Antiquities Ministry granted preliminary approval for the use of a non-invasive radar to verify a theory that Queen Nefertiti's crypt may be hidden behind King Tutankhamun's 3,300-year-old tomb in the famous ...

Search for Egypt's Nefertiti gains new momentum (Update)

September 29, 2015

The search for ancient Egypt's Queen Nefertiti in an alleged hidden chamber in King Tut's tomb gained new momentum as Egypt's Antiquities Minister said Tuesday he is now more convinced a queen's tomb may lay hidden behind ...

Expert with new theory on Nefertiti's tomb invited to Egypt

August 19, 2015

An Egyptologist behind a new theory that ancient Queen Nefertiti's tomb may be hidden behind King Tutankhamun's 3,300-year-old tomb in the famed Valley of the Kings has been invited to come to Cairo to debate his ideas, Egypt's ...

Recommended for you

Amber specimen offers rare glimpse of feathered dinosaur tail

December 8, 2016

Researchers have discovered a dinosaur tail complete with its feathers trapped in a piece of amber. The finding reported in Current Biology on December 8 helps to fill in details of the dinosaurs' feather structure and evolution, ...

9 comments

Adjust slider to filter visible comments by rank

Display comments: newest first

jsdarkdestruction
4.2 / 5 (5) Nov 29, 2015
Very interesting. I wish they would of been specific why they think the 90% chance is there. After the month long analysis is complete then what happens? Is there any way to fully reveal the chambers without damaging the walls somehow or are they going to have to take a drill and make a small hole and put in a small camera?
Vietvet
4.6 / 5 (5) Nov 29, 2015
National Geographic has an in-depth article explaining the 90% figure.

http://news.natio...hambers/
Ryan1981
5 / 5 (3) Nov 29, 2015
Haha thanks vietvet, was about to ask for a scientific explanation of the 90%, hope your link provides it.

Now the speculation can begin what is in there! I'd say its about time we find that alien technology or a stargate or something :P
MrPhysOrg
4 / 5 (4) Nov 29, 2015
It must contain the grain needed to feed the nation during famine. Right, Dr Carson?
jsdarkdestruction
5 / 5 (2) Nov 29, 2015
Thanks vietvet! Thats an awesome link.

I will say a part of me is slightly worried this is an attempt to draw in more tourists and nothing much will ever really come of this and they know that so they've covered themselves with the 10% chance it is nothing. Regardless, very exciting stuff going down here.
Vietvet
5 / 5 (4) Nov 30, 2015
There is an honest belief by some Egyptologist that something significant will be found, others are skeptical. Tourism has taken a huge hit since the Arab Spring, especially since the latest terrorist attacks. Everybody involved with tourism is hoping for something spectacular but until the security situation recovers, perceived and actual, it's unlikely there will be much of an increase in tourism no matter what they find.

The New York Times has an article on these issues.
http://www.nytime...tml?_r=0
Whydening Gyre
3.7 / 5 (3) Dec 01, 2015
There is an honest belief by some Egyptologist that something significant will be found, others are skeptical. Tourism has taken a huge hit since the Arab Spring, especially since the latest terrorist attacks. Everybody involved with tourism is hoping for something spectacular but until the security situation recovers, perceived and actual, it's unlikely there will be much of an increase in tourism no matter what they find

Well, where tourism increases in the middle east, bonkers maniacs will descend on it.,..
And Ryan... it won't be alien, but it will be ancient...:-)
Bulbuzor
1 / 5 (1) Dec 01, 2015
It must contain the grain needed to feed the nation during famine. Right, Dr Carson?


"Dr"

:)
NoStrings
not rated yet Dec 04, 2015
I thought I had a 99% chance to find a large gold treasure in my backyard. After digging the whole place, I found none. Must have been that 1% chance that accounted for it not being there...

Just guys tell us when you find those rooms. Until then we say we don't know anything. Any hedged predictions of chances to find something no matter what is the percentage, are meaningless in archaeology. Unless a professor wants to get 15 minutes of world wide media fame loudspeaking the claim, regardless the future results.

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.