Alcatel, Lucent pull trigger on big merger

Apr 03, 2006

Sunday's merger of France's Alcatel and U.S. telecom manufacturer Lucent will be finalized in six to 12 months, assuming regulatory approval is granted.

The two companies will have a combined value of $25 billion and bill themselves as "the first truly global communications solutions provider with the broadest wireless, wireline and services portfolio in the industry."

"The communications industry is at the beginning of a significant transformation of network technologies, applications and services," said Patricia Russo, who will be chief executive officer of the Paris-based combined companies, "one that is projected to enable converged services across service-provider networks, enterprise networks and an array of personal devices."

The anticipated merger of equals is expected to also pay off in the form of $1.7 billion in cost-saving measures over the first three years.

The financial terms provide Lucent shareowners with 0.1952 shares of Alcatel. Alcatel shareholders will hold 60 percent of the company with Lucent stockholders in control of the other 40 percent.

Copyright 2006 by United Press International

Explore further: Germany signs no-spy deal with BlackBerry

add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Alcatel-Lucent sets broadband speed record using copper

Jul 10, 2014

Might a research heavyweight open a new door to gigabit speed with the use of copper? Alcatel-Lucent on Wednesday said it set a new world record broadband speed of 10Gbps for transmission of data using traditional ...

Fiber-optic speeds achieved over copper lines

Apr 28, 2010

(PhysOrg.com) -- Bell Labs, Alcatel-Lucent's research arm, has demonstrated industry record broadband download speeds of up to 300 Megabits per second using two traditional twisted pair copper telephone lines. ...

Recommended for you

Audi to develop Tesla Model S all-electric rival

5 hours ago

The Tesla Model S has a rival. Audi is to develop all-electric family car. This is to be a family car that will offer an all-electric range of 280 miles (450 kilometers), according to Auto Express, which ...

A green data center with an autonomous power supply

11 hours ago

A new data center in the United States is generating electricity for its servers entirely from renewable sources, converting biogas from a sewage treatment plant into electricity and water. Siemens implemented ...

After a data breach, it's consumers left holding the bag

11 hours ago

Shoppers have launched into the holiday buying season and retailers are looking forward to year-end sales that make up almost 20% of their annual receipts. But as you check out at a store or click "purchase" on your online shopping cart ...

Can we create an energy efficient Internet?

12 hours ago

With the number of Internet connected devices rapidly increasing, researchers from Melbourne are starting a new research program to reduce energy consumption of such devices.

Brain inspired data engineering

12 hours ago

What if next-generation ICT systems could be based on the brain's structure and its cognitive and adaptive processes? A groundbreaking paradigm of brain-inspired intelligent ICT architectures is being born.

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.