Fujitsu Europe today announces the latest edition to its range of MO (magneto-optical) storage products, the DynaMO 1300U2 PHOTO. A combination of a magneto-optical (MO) storage drive and an integrated PCMCIA card reader/writer, the DynaMO 1300U2 PHOTO will provide digital photographers with a simple solution to the problem of limited storage space on removable media as well as a securer method for storing valuable imagery.
The advance of the digital camera continues unabated. More cameras than ever before were sold last year – almost 100 million in all – and 46 per cent of them were digital. Professional photographers, photo designers and advertising and media creatives are using digital technology more and more. The professional sector demands high resolution, requiring enormous data volumes to be stored and handled. Responding to this demand, Fujitsu is now offering its new MO solution, the DynaMO 1300U2 Photo, boasting a storage capacity of 1.3 GB per piece of MO media.
An ideal companion for photography on the move, Fujitsu’s DynaMO 1300U2 Photo intelligently combines a magneto-optical removable storage drive with 1.3 GB capacity per piece of media and a multicard reader/writer that can read almost all storage media used in digital photography, including Microdrives, CompactFlash, SD memory cards, memory sticks, SmartMedia cards and MultiMedia cards.
The 1300U2 PHOTO boasts an integrated LCD display and menu navigation which makes for quick and easy operation. The colour LCD display shows the pictures taken, allowing you to make an initial selection or copy across only certain pictures – ensuring the MO media only contains the images you really want to keep and serves as a quick check to ensure all imagery has been copied. In addition, slide shows can be conveniently viewed by connecting the unit to a projector or TV via the integrated TV-out. A remote control is included as standard, so you can relax while switching from one picture to the next.
Data can be transferred bi-directionally between the multicard reader/writer and the MO media, without needing to connect the DynaMO 1300U2 Photo to a PC. An image transfer rate of up to 5.5MB/s can be achieved whilst copying from your memory card to the MO media, with complete security against data loss. The camera’s memory card is then available for more pictures to be taken.
Professional photographers will not only find the DynaMO 1300U2 Photo a robust, user-friendly solution on which they can save their valuable digital pictures, but will also find that MO technology offers extremely secure long-term data archiving at a very reasonable price, particularly if the investment is offset against the financial damage caused by data loss. The 1300U2 PHOTO can also be used for storing much more than pictures – the fully external MO removable storage drive is also suitable for text and sound files.
Mike Nelson, FEL UK Sales Director, said: “Photographers quite rightly place the utmost importance on secure storage of their valuable digital pictures. Whatever the circumstance, data loss always entails a financial loss as well. Professional photographers will find that the DynaMO 1300U2 Photo is not only an intelligent solution for short-term storage of digital pictures on data-secure MO media, but also an inexpensive, highly reliable, long-term archiving solution – much more reliable than hard drives, CDs or DVDs.”
The DynaMO 1300U2 PHOTO has an external data transfer rate of up to 480 Mbit/s, an internal data transfer rate of up to 5.55 MB/s, a 2 MB R/W buffer and an average access time of 35 ms. It runs off a power supply unit, but can also be operated using an optional extra cable for connection to car batteries (e.g. APC Travelpower).
· External 1.3 GB MO drive with integrated PCMCIA card reader/writer
· USB 2.0 interface
· Data transfer rate: 5.55 MB/s internal, 480 Mbit/s external
· Average access time of 35 ms
· Read/write functionality with all major removable storage devices: Microdrives, CompactFlash, SD memory cards, memory sticks (PRO), SmartMedia cards and MultiMedia cards
· Integrated colour LCD display, easy-to-understand function keys and straightforward menu navigation make for easy operation
· Integrated TV-out to connect to a projector, TV, etc., with remote control for easy switching between pictures
· Bidirectional picture up/download without notebook/PC: between MO diskette and common digital camera storage devices
· Rapid data transfer to/from MO media
· Extremely robust and resilient MO media are rewriteable any number of times
· Suitable for long-term picture archiving – more than 50 years!Possibility of operation without the power supply unit using the appropriate connection cables
Explore further: Designing exascale computers