Officials confirm 3 cases of cholera in NYC

Feb 06, 2011

(AP) -- New York City officials have confirmed that three New Yorkers contracted cholera while in the Dominican Republic for a wedding.

The Dominican Republic shares the island of Hispaniola with Haiti, where thousands have died from the disease.

A medical epidemiologist for the city Department of Health and Mental Hygiene told The New York Times Saturday that all three people who were infected last month have recovered.

Dr. Sharon Balter says the city typically sees an average of one cholera case per year.

City health officials are now working with the in Atlanta to determine whether the current strain is similar to the one that has been raging in since October.

Three deaths have been reported in the Dominican Republic.

Explore further: Obama to announce major Ebola effort

not rated yet
add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Cholera cases climb to 111 in Venezuela

Jan 31, 2011

(AP) -- The number of cholera cases has jumped to 111 in Venezuela as more people tested positive after attending a wedding with contaminated food in the Dominican Republic, the country's health minister said Friday.

Cholera spreading fast throughout Haiti: US study

Dec 09, 2010

Cholera is spreading rapidly throughout Haiti, highlighting the need for urgent efforts to curb the epidemic, a report from the US-based Centers for Disease Control said Wednesday.

Death toll from Haiti cholera rises to 1,721

Nov 29, 2010

At least 1,721 Haitians have died from a worsening cholera epidemic in the earthquake-devastated country, according to new figures released by the health ministry on Monday.

Recommended for you

Nanopatch to help WHO battle polio

6 minutes ago

The World Health Organisation's (WHO) battle against polio has a new weapon after joining forces with Vaxxas, the biotechnology company responsible for developing revolutionary vaccine delivery method the Nanopatch.

Obama's Ebola response: Is it enough and in time?

4 hours ago

President Barack Obama declared Tuesday that the Ebola epidemic in West Africa could threaten security around the world, and he ordered 3,000 U.S. military personnel to the region in emergency aid muscle ...

First domestic case of chikungunya in Brazil

4 hours ago

Brazil's authorities on Tuesday reported the first domestically contracted cases of the mosquito-borne chikungunya virus, prompting the government to announce it was stepping up attempts to control the disease.

Australia promises $6.4 million to fight Ebola

5 hours ago

Australia announced on Wednesday it will immediately provide an additional 7 million Australian dollars ($6.4 million) to help the international response to the Ebola outbreak in West Africa.

User comments : 0