Many Airbnb venues lack basic safety protections, new study suggests

May 8, 2018, Johns Hopkins University Bloomberg School of Public Health

Many Airbnb venues in the United States fail to provide the critical carbon monoxide and fire safety protections that are legally required of hotels and motels, suggests new research from the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health.

The analysis, published May 7 in the journal Injury Prevention, revealed that while the majority of rental properties—80 percent—were said to contain smoke detectors, only 56 percent were reportedly equipped with carbon monoxide detectors. Even fewer—42 percent of venues—were said to have extinguishers, and first-aid kits were reported in just over a third (36 percent) of venues.

The researchers say these numbers are troubling, and they point to a lack of national safety standards for peer-to-peer (P2P) hospitality services like Airbnb, which they say leaves room for ambiguity about safety requirements for these rental properties.

"Hotels and other hospitality settings present unique fire and safety challenges, such as the fact that guests are often unfamiliar with their surroundings and the layout of the accommodation," says study co-author Vanya Jones, PhD, an assistant professor with the Johns Hopkins Center for Injury Research and Policy at the Bloomberg School. To address these challenges, hotels in the U.S. are legally required to meet safety standards that include posted fire escape routes, fire doors, fire extinguishers, smoke detectors, fire sprinkler systems and exit passageways. However, these requirements do not apply to privately owned, short-term rental properties that are available through P2P services like Airbnb.

Jones says that without national safety standards, these venues are only required to comply with local statutes and codes pertaining to fire safety, which vary widely among municipalities and from state to state. Additionally, says Jones, many of the venues available through P2P services are private homes, so any fire safety requirements are more likely to be aligned with standards for residential houses than with those that apply to hotels.

To assess the existing fire safety amenities among Airbnb rental properties, the researchers used data on 120,691 venues from, an independent website that compiles publicly available information posted in Airbnb listings by venue hosts. At the time of the study, InsideAirbnb was monitoring listings in 16 U.S. cities.

The data used in the analysis was collected for each of the 16 citiesduring a period between October 3, 2015, and December 3, 2016. Based on the reported presence of smoke detectors, carbon monoxide detectors, fire extinguishers and first-aid kits for each venue, the researchers calculated the proportion of venues with each amenity for the entire sample as well as for each of the 16 cities.

Across all 16 cities included in the analysis, smoke detectors were the most prevalent of the four safety amenities in Airbnb venues, ranging from 74 percent in Austin, Texas, to 90 percent in Nashville, Tenn. Austin also had the lowest prevalence of detectors—37 percent—while Denver, Colo., had the highest at 74 percent. Fire extinguishers were less common; in New York, just 29 percent of venues were said to have them, while the highest percentage of fire extinguishers—70 percent—was found in Asheville, NC. Portland, Ore., was the only city out of the 16 where more than half of venues reported having .

Fire continues to be a major cause of injury and destruction in the U.S. In 2015, there were more than 1.3 million fires across the country, which resulted in more than 2,500 deaths and $14 billion in property damage. Most fire deaths occur in residential structures. Hotel and motel fires represent approximately one percent of structural fires and result in an annual average of nine civilian deaths, 120 civilian injuries and $84 million in direct property damage.

"Reported fire and first-aid amenities in Airbnb venues in 16 American cities" was written by Hudson R. Kennedy, Vanya C. Jones, PhD, and Andrea Gielen, ScD.

Explore further: Staying warm, cozy and safe by the fire

Related Stories

Staying warm, cozy and safe by the fire

December 25, 2017

(HealthDay)—Holiday gatherings might not seem complete without a warm crackling fire, but when a get-together includes kids, safety needs to be on everyone's mind.

Wildfires break out in Southern Florida

March 27, 2018

It is the end of March and wildfires are already breaking out in the South. In this image taken by the Aqua satellite on March 23, three distinct areas of fire activity can be seen. Smoke billows from the fire sites. The ...

The high cost of short-term rentals in New York City

January 31, 2018

A new report from McGill Urban Planning professor David Wachsmuth and his team provides an analysis of Airbnb activity in New York City and the surrounding region in the last three years (September 2014 - August 2017). ...

Recommended for you

A decade on, smartphone-like software finally heads to space

March 20, 2019

Once a traditional satellite is launched into space, its physical hardware and computer software stay mostly immutable for the rest of its existence as it orbits the Earth, even as the technology it serves on the ground continues ...


Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.