Angola loses first satellite, plans successor

Angola on Monday confirmed the premature death of its first national telecoms satellite, Angosat-1, which was launched in December and was expected to have a working life of 15 years.

The Russian-made Angosat-1 struggled with repeated setbacks immediately after its launch from the Baikonur space centre in Kazakhstan.

Contact with the was soon lost and never recovered despite many attempts.

"The satellite remained in orbit from December 26 to 30. After that we had a problem," Igor Frolov, a representative of manufacturer Energia RSC, said at a press conference in Luanda.

Angolan Telecommunications Minister Jose Carvalho da Rocha immediately announced that the satellite would be replaced by a successor—Angosat-2—under a new agreement with Russia.

"Building will begin tomorrow at no cost to Angola... it will have more capacity and be more sophisticated than its predecessor," da Rocha said, adding it would be finished in 18 months.

The Angosat project was founded by Russia and Angola in 2009 and includes a control centre in a suburb of the Angolan capital Luanda.

Angosat-1 had been intended to improve , internet access and broadcasting of radio and television across Africa.

Angola draws large revenue from its but suffers extreme inequality with UNICEF calculating 38 percent of the population live in poverty.


Explore further

Russia restores contact with Angolan satellite

© 2018 AFP

Citation: Angola loses first satellite, plans successor (2018, April 23) retrieved 18 April 2019 from https://phys.org/news/2018-04-angola-satellite-successor.html
This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.
16 shares

Feedback to editors

User comments

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more