Archaeological dig set to resume at Malcolm X home in Boston

Researchers are returning to the boyhood home of slain civil rights leader Malcolm X to resume an archaeological dig.

Archaeologist Joseph Bagley said researchers will return Monday to the home in Boston's historically black Roxbury neighborhood.

The dig began in March but was halted after a week due to . Bagley says the team is expected to spend another week on the property.

Their efforts so far have turned up evidence of an unexpected colonial-era settlement. It also produced a stone piece possibly dating to the Native American tribes that once inhabited Boston.

The existing house was originally built in 1874 and is the last surviving residence from Malcolm X's time as a teenager and young adult in Boston. It's still owned by his family.


Explore further

Dig at Malcolm X home turns up evidence of 1700s settlement (Update)

© 2016 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

Citation: Archaeological dig set to resume at Malcolm X home in Boston (2016, May 15) retrieved 21 August 2019 from https://phys.org/news/2016-05-archaeological-resume-malcolm-home-boston.html
This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.
7 shares

Feedback to editors

User comments

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more