US unable to crack San Bernardino attacker's phone

February 10, 2016

US agents cannot access a telephone used by the Islamist attackers in the San Bernardino shooting, the head of the FBI said Tuesday, complaining that encryption is hampering investigations.

FBI Director James Comey revealed the problem as he was briefing lawmakers on emerging threats, using it to underline the US government's concerns about the strength of commercially-available encryption.

"It affects our counterterrorism work," he said.

"In San Bernardino, a very important investigation to us, we still have one of those killers' phones that we've not been able to open. It's been over two months now and we're still working on it."

On December 2 last year, US citizen Syed Farook and his Pakistani wife Tashfeen Malik stormed a workplace social event and shot 14 people dead in San Bernardino, California.

Since the attack, the FBI and US intelligence have been trying to work out to what extent the couple were self-radicalized and whether or not they had links to broader jihadist-inspired groups or individuals.

Clapper's anecdote about the suspect's phone feeds into a broader campaign that the US government is waging to persuade Silicon Valley tech giants to give it access to encrypted devices and online files.

Consumers, worried by cyber crime and government snooping, are increasingly drawn to protected products and the industry is keen to serve the market, despite official concerns that encryption empowers criminals.

"Those devices are going to hold the evidence of child pornography, communications that someone made before they were killed, before they went missing," Clapper said, describing phones with a default lock.

"So it is a big problem with law enforcement armed with a search warrant when you find a device that can't be opened even though the judge said there's probable cause to open it."

Explore further: FBI director warns against cellphone encryption

Related Stories

FBI director warns against cellphone encryption

October 16, 2014

(AP)—The FBI director is warning against smartphone encryption. James Comey is talking about tech companies like Apple and Google that say their new operating systems will be encrypted, or protected by coding. Comey says ...

US warns encryption hampering anti-terror fight

July 9, 2015

US law enforcement officials warned Wednesday that criminals and terror suspects would benefit from stronger data encryption, and called for service providers to retain access to such protected data.

FBI chief urges 'robust debate' on encryption

July 6, 2015

FBI Director James Comey called Monday for public debate on the use of encrypted communications, saying Americans may not realize how radical groups and criminals are using the technology.

Recommended for you

Engineers use replica to pinpoint California dam repairs

June 26, 2017

Inside a cavernous northern Utah warehouse, hydraulic engineers send water rushing down a replica of a section of a dam built out of wood, concrete and steel—trying to pinpoint what repairs will work best at the tallest ...

Google to stop scanning Gmail for ad targeting

June 23, 2017

Google said Friday it would stop scanning the contents of Gmail users' inboxes for ad targeting, moving to end a practice that has fueled privacy concerns since the free email service was launched.

0 comments

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.