Predicting the weather or the economy? How to make forecasts more trustworthy

August 12, 2015, American Marketing Association

Attention all you would-be forecasters out there. Do you want people to think you know the future? Then predict with a high degree of certainty that something will happen. According to a new study in the Journal of Marketing Research, people trust a forecaster more when she predicts that something is more likely to occur.

"When a forecaster predicts that something has a high likelihood of happening, consumers infer that the forecaster is more confident in her prediction, that she is basing the prediction on more in-depth analysis, and that she is more trustworthy," write the authors of the study, Rajesh Bagchi (Virginia Tech) and Elise Chandon Ince (University of South Carolina). "The prediction is also judged to be more accurate."

The authors conducted eight studies in reaching those conclusions. The studies dealt with predictions such as which team would win a particular basketball game, whether a would go up or down, and whether a book would get published. In the studies, participants were asked to react to high predictions—a 70% chance that something would happen—and low predictions—a 30% chance that something would happen.

The authors found that the participants made judgments about the forecaster and the prediction based on the prediction itself. When the prediction was high (70%) instead of low (30%), the forecaster was judged to be more confident and trustworthy; she was thought to have conducted more research; and the prediction itself was deemed more accurate. That is because participants focused on the likelihood of the target event occurring—say, Team A wins the basketball game—than on a complementary event occurring—Team B wins the game.

"These results have practical implications. It could be, for instance, that consumers prefer information outlets such as news programs and websites that make higher predictions. Thus, political pundits, meteorologists, and stock analysts may want to highlight their predictions when they offer a higher forecast for an event, as a way to help build their reputation," Bagchi and Ince write.

Explore further: Hurricane season expected to be weaker than normal

More information: Rajesh Bagchi and Elise Chandon Ince. "Is a 70% Forecast More Accurate Than a 30% Forecast? How Level of a Forecast Affects Inferences about Forecasts and Forecasters." Forthcoming in the Journal of Marketing Research.

Related Stories

'Clean' your memory to pick a winner, study says

April 22, 2013

Predicting the winner of a sporting event with accuracy close to that of a statistical computer program could be possible with proper training, according to researchers. In a study published today, experiment participants ...

Recommended for you

Nanoscale Lamb wave-driven motors in nonliquid environments

March 19, 2019

Light driven movement is challenging in nonliquid environments as micro-sized objects can experience strong dry adhesion to contact surfaces and resist movement. In a recent study, Jinsheng Lu and co-workers at the College ...

OSIRIS-REx reveals asteroid Bennu has big surprises

March 19, 2019

A NASA spacecraft that will return a sample of a near-Earth asteroid named Bennu to Earth in 2023 made the first-ever close-up observations of particle plumes erupting from an asteroid's surface. Bennu also revealed itself ...

The powerful meteor that no one saw (except satellites)

March 19, 2019

At precisely 11:48 am on December 18, 2018, a large space rock heading straight for Earth at a speed of 19 miles per second exploded into a vast ball of fire as it entered the atmosphere, 15.9 miles above the Bering Sea.

Levitating objects with light

March 19, 2019

Researchers at Caltech have designed a way to levitate and propel objects using only light, by creating specific nanoscale patterning on the objects' surfaces.

0 comments

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.