Google, EU 'near deal' on search probe

April 13, 2013
The Google logo is seen at the Google headquarters in Mountain View, California on September 2, 2011. The US Internet giant is preparing changes to its dominant search system to satisfy EU anti-trust authorities, the Financial Times has said.

US Internet giant Google is preparing changes to its dominant search system to satisfy EU anti-trust authorities, the Financial Times said on Saturday.

In a five-year accord with Brussels, has promised to make users "clearly aware" when promoting its own search services in specialised areas such as restaurants, finance and shopping, the FT said, citing people familiar with the deal.

It will also highlight links to rival specialised search services.

EU Competition Commissioner Joaquin Almunia told the New York Times on Tuesday that Google had to clearly differentiate its services from others but stressed that the company would not have to change the key underlying algorithms which drive the product.

Almunia spokesman Antoine Colombani declined to comment directly on the report but noted that Google had submitted a list of detailed remedies in January.

"The European Commission recently completed a preliminary review formally setting out its concerns and on this basis, Google then submitted its own formal proposals," Colombani said.

The EU launched its investigation of Google in November 2010 following a complaint by several companies, including US software giant Microsoft.

In February, Brussels said it had received proposals aimed at ending the probe and was examining them with a view to announcing its decision by the middle of the year.

Earlier, the US dropped a similar investigation, saying it lacked a legal basis to bring a case against Google.

Critics say Google controls about 70 percent of the Internet and the advertising that goes along with it.

The search probe is one of a series of facing Google.

This week, a group of major companies, including Microsoft and Oracle, complained to the European Commission over Google's offerings for its Android-powered mobile phones.

Last week, six European countries, including France and Britain, launched joint action against Google to get it to scale back new monitoring powers that watchdogs believe violate EU privacy protection rules.

Explore further: US Google ruling has no impact on EU probe: Brussels

Related Stories

US Google ruling has no impact on EU probe: Brussels

January 4, 2013

The decision by US authorities to close down an 18-month anti-trust investigation into Internet giant Google has no bearing on what the EU will do with its own probe, the European Commission said Friday.

EU hails Google's proposals in antitrust probe

July 24, 2012

The EU hailed on Tuesday proposals that Google has made after regulators launched an anti-trust probe into whether the Internet search giant had abused its dominant market position.

EU to seek Google anti-trust accord: Almunia (Update)

December 18, 2012

The European Union will seek an accord with US Internet search giant Google as progress has been made in resolving EU anti-trust concerns, EU Competition Commissioner Joaquin Almunia said Tuesday.

Recommended for you

New method analyzes corn kernel characteristics

November 17, 2017

An ear of corn averages about 800 kernels. A traditional field method to estimate the number of kernels on the ear is to manually count the number of rows and multiply by the number of kernels in one length of the ear. With ...

Optically tunable microwave antennas for 5G applications

November 16, 2017

Multiband tunable antennas are a critical part of many communication and radar systems. New research by engineers at the University of Bristol has shown significant advances in antennas by using optically induced plasmas ...

0 comments

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.