Fiennes's evacuation from Antarctica under way

February 27, 2013 by Justine Gerardy
Explorers Ranulph Fiennes (left) and Anton Bowring talk to journalists on January 6, 2013 in Cape Town. Fiennes's evacuation got under way after the veteran adventurer was forced to pull out of a marathon expedition because of frostbite.

The evacuation of injured British explorer Sir Ranulph Fiennes from Antarctica got under way Wednesday after the veteran adventurer was forced to pull out of a marathon expedition because of frostbite.

Fiennes was picked up in the early morning and headed for a Belgian station about 70 kilometres (43 miles) away after injuring his left hand at the weekend, his team said.

The 68-year-old was part of a six-member team attempting the first winter crossing of the world's coldest continent.

"After what seems like an eternity waiting for the weather to improve, Ran was finally able to begin his long journey home in the early hours of this morning," said Hugh Bowring of the expedition's operations headquarters in London.

His withdrawal from the epic trek, which is set to start next month, was announced on Monday but a had grounded the team and stalled his evacuation.

Fiennes was finally picked up Wednesday by a team of Belgians stationed at Princess Elisabeth Station.

The group reached the expedition team at 6:00 am local time (0800 GMT) in temperatures of around minus 18 Celsius (minus 0.4 Farenheit) and winds of around 20 knots (37 km/h, 23 mph).

If weather permits, he will next be flown from the Belgian base to the Russian-run station at Novo which has an airstrip and is a key route in and out of Antarctica.

"All being well, the group will fly from Novo to Cape Town late this evening," Bowring said in a statement.

"Although given the nature of the ever-changing out in Antarctica, nothing is certain."

for the frostbite injury is the priority on arrival before the adventurer flies back to the United Kingdom.

In a video posted on the expedition website of his departure, Fiennes said he was "not happy at all".

"The good thing is that the dream is still continuing," he added.

The team's doctor said Tuesday that "Ran", as the multiple record holder is known, has suffered frostbite to four fingers of his left hand.

This was after he removed a glove to adjust a ski binding at the weekend, forcing him to withdraw from the marathon trek.

Fiennes had suffered severe to the same hand during a 2000 expedition, and sawed off the damaged parts of his fingers himself.

The five remaining members of the team will press on with the mission, dubbed The Coldest Journey, and are set to start the winter crossing on March 21.

The group hopes to be the first to make a more than 2,000-mile crossing in winter.

The furthest winter journey in Antarctica so far covered 60 miles in the early 20th century.

The team members will face six months of mostly darkness in an area where temperatures can plunge to minus 70 degrees Celsius (minus 94 Fahrenheit).

The team is led by two skiers carrying radars and followed by two tractors pulling sledge-mounted, converted containers with the rest of the team, equipment, fuel and food.

Despite Fiennes' absence, the remaining members said they carries "his determination and incredible spirit forward".

"It is now only a few hours since we said our difficult farewells but we are already moving south and are poised to gain the polar plateau. Onwards," said the team's Brian Newham.

The campaign aims to raise $10 million (7.6 million euros) for the Seeing is Believing blindness charity and will carry out scientific research.

Fiennes was the oldest Briton to summit Mount Everest, has crossed both polar ice caps, and has also crossed the Antarctic unsupported.

Explore further: Bad weather stalls Fiennes' Antarctic evacuation

Related Stories

Bad weather stalls Fiennes' Antarctic evacuation

February 26, 2013

An Antarctic snow storm prevented the evacuation Tuesday of adventurer Sir Ranulph Fiennes, injured while attempting the icy continent's first winter crossing, the expedition said.

Woman to begin Antarctic crossing, awaits weather

November 21, 2011

(AP) -- A 33-year-old British adventurer preparing for a historic solo crossing of Antarctica was waiting at a base camp for the weather to improve on Sunday in order to begin her long journey on skis.

Wild weather strands Shackleton adventurers

February 9, 2013

Two adventurers attempting to recreate an epic 1916 Antarctic expedition by Ernest Shackleton were on Saturday stranded on a plateau above a glacier after wild weather hit the final leg of their journey.

Highest Antarctic icecap peak reached

January 13, 2008

A Chinese team culminated a 21-day quest to scale the highest peak on the Antarctic icecap Saturday when the 17 scientists reached the top of Dome A.

Recommended for you

The world needs to rethink the value of water

November 23, 2017

Research led by Oxford University highlights the accelerating pressure on measuring, monitoring and managing water locally and globally. A new four-part framework is proposed to value water for sustainable development to ...


Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.