Engineer's fall from launch pad still being probed

(AP) -- NASA says there were no safety gear malfunctions in last week's death of a launch pad worker.

The fell to his death March 14 from the shuttle at Florida's Kennedy Space Center. Endeavour was being prepped for an April liftoff.

said the worker wasn't wearing a safety harness, nor was he required to be wearing one.

Shuttle program manager John Shannon said in Houston on Thursday that no fall-protection devices failed. And he added that there is no evidence of foul play. The investigation continues.

United Space Alliance employee James Vanover was killed in the fall. The 53-year-old and about to be laid off because the shuttle program is ending.

Vanover was checking for debris on the pad, nearly 200 feet up, when he fell.


Explore further

Space shuttle worker falls to death at launch pad

©2010 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Citation: Engineer's fall from launch pad still being probed (2011, March 24) retrieved 7 March 2021 from https://phys.org/news/2011-03-fall-pad-probed.html
This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.
0 shares

Feedback to editors

User comments