Researchers release cloud computing simulator

February 4, 2011, North Dakota State University

Samee U. Khan, assistant professor of electrical and computer engineering, and colleagues P. Bouvry and D. Kliazovich from the University of Luxembourg have released under the General Public License Agreement a sophisticated cloud computing simulator called GreenCloud.

According to Khan, the lack of detailed simulators on the market was the motivation to develop GreenCloud that allows researchers to observe, interact and measure cloud performance. There also was no provisioning for observing clouds for their energy-efficiency.

GreenCloud is an extension of the well-known NS2 network simulator. It is focused primarily on the communications within a cloud, i.e., all of the communication processes are simulated on packet level. About 80 percent of GreenCloud code is implemented in C++ while the remaining 20 percent is in the form of Tool Command Language scripts.

GreenCloud can be downloaded at gforge.uni.lu/projects/greencloud

Explore further: NASA Finds Polluted Clouds Hold Less Moisture & Cool Earth Less

Related Stories

NASA Finds Polluted Clouds Hold Less Moisture & Cool Earth Less

December 23, 2004

A NASA study found some clouds that form on tiny haze particles are not cooling the Earth as much as previously thought. These findings have implications for the ability to predict changes in climate. Andrew Ackerman, a scientist ...

Scientists seek clear-sky definition of clouds

December 6, 2005

All through the ages, humans have dreamily gazed at those shape-shifting cotton-balls floating gently across the sky-the clouds. Atmospheric scientists-Earth's professional cloud-gazers-have learned a great deal about clouds ...

Data Travels Six Times Faster in the Clouds

February 26, 2009

(PhysOrg.com) -- The National Center for Data Mining (NCDM) at the University of Chicago at Illinois established a cloud computing system that can quickly compile data from widely geographically distributed data centers across ...

Recommended for you

Permanent, wireless self-charging system using NIR band

October 8, 2018

As wearable devices are emerging, there are numerous studies on wireless charging systems. Here, a KAIST research team has developed a permanent, wireless self-charging platform for low-power wearable electronics by converting ...

Facebook launches AI video-calling device 'Portal'

October 8, 2018

Facebook on Monday launched a range of AI-powered video-calling devices, a strategic revolution for the social network giant which is aiming for a slice of the smart speaker market that is currently dominated by Amazon and ...

Artificial enzymes convert solar energy into hydrogen gas

October 4, 2018

In a new scientific article, researchers at Uppsala University describe how, using a completely new method, they have synthesised an artificial enzyme that functions in the metabolism of living cells. These enzymes can utilize ...

0 comments

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.