22 charged for prank emails, texts after S.Korea attacks

The North Korean shore is seen from the South Korean island of Yeonpyeong
The North Korean shore is seen from the South Korean island of Yeonpyeong. South Korean police said Friday they had charged 22 people with spreading rumours and false information online or in text messages after North Korea shelled an island in the South, a news report said.

South Korean police said Friday they had charged 22 people with spreading rumours and false information online or in text messages after North Korea shelled an island in the South, a news report said.

After the North attacked the frontline island Tuesday, killing four people, some people allegedly sent out text messages claiming to be from the defence ministry and other military offices, saying reserve forces had been called up.

South Korea, which never signed a peace treaty with after the 1950-53 Korean war, requires men over 19 to perform two years of and then keeps them in its reserve forces.

Other online and cellphone users allegedly sent fabricated claims, including that had first attacked the North, said the cyber crime division of the National Police Agency, according to the Yonhap news agency.

"We will keep tracking down those who spread false information, while preparing countermeasures on cyber terrorism," an NPA official said.


Explore further

S.Korean government website hit by cyber attacks

(c) 2010 AFP

Citation: 22 charged for prank emails, texts after S.Korea attacks (2010, November 26) retrieved 17 November 2019 from https://phys.org/news/2010-11-prank-emails-texts-skorea.html
This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.
0 shares

Feedback to editors

User comments