Samsung phone battery catches fire, injures manFebruary 6th, 2013 in Technology / Consumer & Gadgets
(AP)—South Korean fire officials say a man suffered burns after the battery from a Samsung smartphone caught fire in his trouser pocket.
Officials at Bupyeong Fire Station in Incheon city said Wednesday the lithium-ion battery was not in the phone when it caught fire. Such batteries are quick to charge but prone to overheating.
The man suffered second-degree burns and a one inch wound on his thigh from Saturday's incident.
Chosun Ilbo newspaper reported the battery from the 2011 Galaxy Note exploded but fire officials couldn't confirm that.
Officials declined to identify the man. Samsung said no investigation was planned.
Lithium-ion batteries are behind the worldwide grounding of Boeing 787s.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
"Samsung phone battery catches fire, injures man." February 6th, 2013. http://phys.org/news/2013-02-samsung-battery.html