Veterinarians in Sweden say dogs may be spreading the MRSA superbug in veterinary clinics. The first Swedish case of a dog contracting the virus was recorded at a clinic in Stockholm last fall, The Local newspaper said Wednesday.
Tests at Bagarmossen Regional Veterinary Clinic found that 13 out of 71 staff members were infected with the same strain of the MRSA bacteria as the dogs, the newspaper said.
"The problem we see is that they are going to act both as the source and the spreaders of the infection, veterinary antibiotics expert Anders Franklin told the newspaper Svenska Dagbladet.
Copyright 2007 by United Press International
Explore further: New research demonstrates benefits of national and international device registries