Infineon says 65nm phone chip is available

May 12, 2006

Infineon Technologies said Friday its pioneering 65 nanometer chips were being released for use in wireless phones.

The chips produced using 65nm CMOS technology sailed through a rigorous testing program in India and German, dialing in and connecting "without a hitch," the German semiconductor producer said in a news release.

The first products using the new technology were expected to be ready at the end of the year.

The 65nm threshold has been a target for chip makers seeking to double chip capacity without corresponding increases in size and power consumption.

Infineon said the chip it has been testing contains more than 30 million transmitters and accommodates major digital and analog circuitry in small cell phones.

The chip came out of the ICIS research alliance that included Infineon, IBM, Chartered and Samsung. Intel and Altera are also developing 65 nm products.

Copyright 2006 by United Press International

Explore further: Technology turns eyewear into a smart device capable of displaying visual information

add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

UMC Produces Working 45-nanometer ICs

Nov 20, 2006

UMC, a leading global semiconductor foundry, today announced that it has successfully produced functional 45-nanometer SRAM chips that feature an impressive bit cell size of less than 0.25um2. The ICs, produced using UMC's ...

Recommended for you

Impoverished North Korea falls back on cyber weapons

8 hours ago

As one of the world's most impoverished powers, North Korea would struggle to match America's military or economic might, but appears to have settled on a relatively cheap method to torment its foe.

Five ways to make your email safer in case of a hack attack

9 hours ago

The Sony hack, the latest in a wave of company security breaches, exposed months of employee emails. Other hacks have given attackers access to sensitive information about a company and its customers, such as credit-card ...

2012 movie massacre hung over 'Interview' decision

9 hours ago

When a group claiming credit for the hacking of Sony Pictures Entertainment threated violence against theaters showing "The Interview" earlier this week, the fate of the movie's big-screen life was all but ...

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.