HP completes acquisition of 3PAR

Sep 27, 2010
US computer giant Hewlett-Packard said Monday it has completed its acquisition of data storage firm 3PAR for 2.35 billion dollars.

US computer giant Hewlett-Packard said Monday it has completed its acquisition of data storage firm 3PAR for 2.35 billion dollars.

HP paid 33 dollars per share for Fremont, California-based following a bidding war with another US computer titan, Dell.

The Palo Alto, California-based HP said that 3PAR became a wholly-owned subsidiary of HP after a tender offer for outstanding 3PAR shares expired at midnight on Friday.

The bidding war for 3PAR began on August 16 with an 18-dollar per share offer by Dell.

HP, the world's largest computer manufacturer, and Dell, the third-largest, are both seeking to expand their offerings to include services and storage.

With the rise of Internet-based "cloud computing," in which data is stored remotely, 3PAR was an attractive target and the bidding war for the company saw its stock triple in two weeks.

The acquisition of 3PAR gives HP an advantage in the market for advanced high-end data storage solutions, where 3PAR is the dominant player.

3PAR's technology enables large companies and government agencies to shift to "cloud" storage platforms, significantly cutting storage costs.

Explore further: Clooney slams skittish Hollywood after Sony hack

add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

3Par calls HP $30 bid 'superior'; Dell mulls reply

Aug 28, 2010

(AP) -- Data storage company 3Par Inc. says its board has determined that Hewlett-Packard Co.'s $2 billion, $30-per-share takeover bid is superior to a rival offer from Dell Inc., but Dell said Saturday it was mulling over ...

HP boosts bid for 3Par to $1.88B, topping Dell

Aug 27, 2010

(AP) -- Hewlett-Packard Co. boosted its bid for 3Par Inc. to $1.88 billion Friday, topping Dell Inc.'s offer by 11 percent and again raising the stakes in the bidding contest for the data-storage company. ...

Recommended for you

Sony tells AFP it still plans movie release

56 minutes ago

Sony Pictures boss Michael Lynton denied Friday the Hollywood studio has "caved" by canceling the release of "The Interview," and said it still hoped to release the controversial film.

2012 movie massacre hung over 'Interview' decision

14 hours ago

When a group claiming credit for the hacking of Sony Pictures Entertainment threated violence against theaters showing "The Interview" earlier this week, the fate of the movie's big-screen life was all but ...

Clooney slams skittish Hollywood after Sony hack

21 hours ago

Film star George Clooney slammed the Hollywood movie industry for failing to stand up against the cyber threats that prompted Sony Pictures to cancel release of the movie "The Interview."

Atos shares soar after Xerox acquisition

23 hours ago

Shares in French tech firm Atos soared nearly five percent on Friday as traders cheered the news it had bought the IT wing of Xerox for more than $1 billion.

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.