Amoeba blamed in 2 more organ transplant deaths

Sep 16, 2010

(AP) -- U.S. health officials say two Arizona organ transplant recipients died of an infection from a microscopic parasite they got from their organ donor.

The deaths are the second confirmed cluster of tranplant-related encephalitis caused by Balamuthia mandrillaris, an found in soil. It is especially dangerous to people undergoing organ transplants and who have weakened immune systems. The first cluster occurred in Mississippi last year.

The donor, a 27-year-old male landscaper, died in Arizona in July from what doctors believed was a stroke. A 56-year-old male liver recipient died Aug. 17. A 24-year-old male kidney and pancreas recipient died Aug. 30. Two other recipients, one who got a heart and another a kidney, are alive and without symptoms.

Explore further: Meningitis diagnosis prompted W.Va. clinic probe

More information: CDC report: http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr

not rated yet
add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

CDC: Rare infection passed on by Miss. organ donor

Dec 19, 2009

(AP) -- An extremely rare infection has been passed from an organ donor to at least one recipient in what is thought to be the first human-to-human transfer of the amoeba, medical officials said Friday.

Male kidneys for men only?

Jul 09, 2008

The gender of donor and recipient plays a larger role in kidney transplants than previously assumed. Female donor kidneys do not function as well in men – due to their smaller size. Women have a higher risk of rejecting ...

Recommended for you

Meningitis diagnosis prompted W.Va. clinic probe

20 hours ago

A health official says an investigation that found syringes were being reused at a West Virginia pain management clinic was triggered by patient who developed bacterial meningitis.

California firm issues nationwide fruit recall

Jul 22, 2014

A Central California company has issued a voluntary nationwide recall of specific lots of its fresh peaches, plums, nectarines and pluots over concerns of possible listeria contamination.

User comments : 0