Saudi Arabia's telecoms regulator has extended indefinitely a reprieve on a BlackBerry messenger ban as a solution is sought that allows authorities to monitor the service, SPA news agency said Tuesday.
The regulator "decided to allow the continuation of BlackBerry messenger services" while it "continues to work with service providers to complete the remainder of the regulatory requirements," it was quoted as saying.
The decision was due to "positive developments in the completion of part of the regulatory requirements on the part of service providers," it said in a statement carried by the state news agency.
The Communications and Information Technology Commission (CITC) announced last week it ordered mobile telephone operators to block key BlackBerry services from August 6 or face a 1.3-million-dollar fine.
It said the suspension was due to the fact that "the way BlackBerry services are provided currently does not meet the regulatory criteria of the commission and the licensing conditions."
CITC then postponed the suspension until Monday evening to allow time to test suggested technical solutions giving authorities access to BlackBerry's encrypted data.
Explore further: Millions without mobile phone service in Argentina