Disabled Austrian eaten to death by maggots: police

Jul 28, 2010

A paralysed Austrian man was eaten to death by maggots in his bed while his partner slept beside him, police said Wednesday.

The 61-year-old retiree died in an ambulance on his way to hospital in Vienna on Tuesday with the having partly devoured his back.

Paramedics notified police after discovering the shocking state of hygiene in the man's home, and his 34-year-old partner was questioned over his condition.

"The man had not wanted to be washed for a long time," a police spokesman said.

According to police, the couple had been together for around a decade, and the victim's partner had slept in the same bed right up until his death.

The dead man had been paralysed for several years following a .

Explore further: Thai parliament votes to ban commercial surrogacy (Update)

add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Israeli police probe hi-tech info theft

May 25, 2006

Israel police investigators have detained a man suspected of stealing hi-tech secrets from his employer during the goodbye bash the company threw him.

Australian charged with infecting 3,000 computers

Aug 13, 2009

(AP) -- A 20-year-old Australian man has been charged with infecting more than 3,000 computers around the world with a virus designed to capture banking and credit card data, police said Thursday.

Facebook fugitive caught after 105 days

May 27, 2009

The long arm of the law finally caught up with a New Zealand fugitive whose 105 days on the run inspired a Facebook fansite, a song and a line of tee shirts.

French police arrest alleged Twitter hacker

Mar 24, 2010

(AP) -- French police say they have detained a 25-year-old who allegedly hacked Twitter accounts of numerous well-known figures, including Britney Spears and President Barack Obama.

Recommended for you

Ebola scare boosts business for US company

12 hours ago

The Ebola scare has subsided in the United States, at least temporarily, but an Alabama manufacturer is still trying to catch up with a glut of orders for gear to protect against the disease.

Thai parliament votes to ban commercial surrogacy (Update)

20 hours ago

Thailand's parliament has voted to ban commercial surrogacy after outrage erupted over the unregulated industry following a series scandals including the case of an Australian couple accused of abandoning a baby with Down's ...

Doctor behind 'free radical' aging theory dies

Nov 25, 2014

Dr. Denham Harman, a renowned scientist who developed the most widely accepted theory on aging that's now used to study cancer, Alzheimer's disease and other illnesses, has died in Nebraska at age 98.

Mexican boy who had massive tumor recovering

Nov 25, 2014

An 11-year-old Mexican boy who had pieces of a massive tumor removed and who drew international attention after U.S. officials helped him get treatment in the southwestern U.S. state of New Mexico is still recovering after ...

User comments : 4

Adjust slider to filter visible comments by rank

Display comments: newest first

JamesThomas
5 / 5 (3) Jul 28, 2010
It's more likely that the maggots were the only ones doing any house-cleaning and were eating just the already dead tissue which staved off gangrene.

I'm going to go puke now.
gurloc
not rated yet Jul 28, 2010
Maggots tend to feed on both living and dead tissue and cause death through bacterial infection.

The ones used for medical therapy are a specific species that only eat necrotic tissue.
MikeMike
not rated yet Jul 28, 2010
Why is this article posted? Give us research results, not tabloid trash!
kivahut
not rated yet Jul 29, 2010
mmmmmm, I think I'll have some risotto now.
topor
Jul 29, 2010
This comment has been removed by a moderator.

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.