Dell: SEC staff to recommend accounting settlement

Jul 16, 2010

(AP) -- Computer maker Dell Inc. said Friday it's getting closer to settling investigations by regulators into its accounting and the actions of CEO Michael Dell.

The computer maker has proposed settlements to the staff of the , which the staff will recommend to the commissioners, the company said.

Dell has already set aside $100 million to cover the cost of settling charges that employees had misled auditors and manipulated results to meet performance targets.

The Round Rock-based company first disclosed an internal investigation into its in 2006, and said it was notified in August of that year of an SEC inquiry into its revenue recognition and financial reporting. In 2007, it restated four years of results after it found that sales had been overstated by $359 million and income by $92 million.

Dell has said that a settlement would include charges of fraud due to negligence and non-fraud-based charges connected to disclosures and alleged omissions that occurred before fiscal year 2008. At issue are rebates Dell received from Corp.

Michael Dell faces similar charges. The company has previously disclosed that settlement would include a fine, but it would not prevent the CEO from working as an officer or director of a public company and "would be made without admitting or denying the SEC's allegations." The company has decided that he will keep working for the company.

Dell was set to hold its annual shareholders meeting on Friday. It adjourned the meeting until Aug. 12 to give shareholders time to consider the news about the proposed settlements.

Separately, agreed last year to settle a shareholder class-action lawsuit over its accounting and other issues for $40 million. That still needs final court approval.

Explore further: 2012 movie massacre hung over 'Interview' decision

not rated yet
add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Dell: PC demand stable stabilizing

Jul 13, 2009

(AP) -- PC maker Dell Inc. said Monday it expects its fiscal second-quarter revenue to be slightly higher than in the first quarter, when sales plunged 23 percent to $12.3 billion.

Openings begin in Broadcom backdating case

Oct 23, 2009

(AP) -- A jury was set Friday to hear opening statements in the federal trial of former Broadcom Corp. Chief Financial Officer William Ruehle, who faces conspiracy and fraud charges in an alleged scheme to backdate stock ...

Recommended for you

2012 movie massacre hung over 'Interview' decision

2 hours ago

When a group claiming credit for the hacking of Sony Pictures Entertainment threated violence against theaters showing "The Interview" earlier this week, the fate of the movie's big-screen life was all but ...

Clooney slams skittish Hollywood after Sony hack

9 hours ago

Film star George Clooney slammed the Hollywood movie industry for failing to stand up against the cyber threats that prompted Sony Pictures to cancel release of the movie "The Interview."

Atos shares soar after Xerox acquisition

11 hours ago

Shares in French tech firm Atos soared nearly five percent on Friday as traders cheered the news it had bought the IT wing of Xerox for more than $1 billion.

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.