China web filter developer's finance woes: report

Jul 14, 2010
A security guard passes in front of computer advertising hoardings in Beijing. The developer of a controversial Internet filter software in China has denied it has closed due to a lack of funding, but it admits to having financial difficulties, state media has said.

The developer of a controversial Internet filter software in China has denied it has closed due to a lack of funding, but it admits to having financial difficulties, state media said Wednesday.

The general manager of Beijing Dazheng Human Language Technology Academy -- one of two companies behind Green Dam Youth Escort -- said the company's office had not closed nor had 30 employees been dismissed, the China Daily reported.

Chen Xiaomeng however did acknowledge that the company had been forced to move its office to a new location in the Chinese capital because of financial problems.

"We are going to publish clarifications," Chen was quoted as saying.

Officials at Beijing Dazheng were not available for immediate comment.

Last year, China ordered all computer makers to bundle the Green Dam with any new personal computer sold in the country from July 1, 2009, saying it would shelter children from pornographic and violent web content.

But it was forced to back down on the plan just ahead of the deadline after an outcry in China and abroad, with critics charging that Beijing was trying to tighten its already strict web controls and block politically sensitive sites.

The government eventually installed the software in 20 million computers in schools and Internet cafes.

State media reported this week that the government had stopped funding the distribution and maintenance of the software, which could leave Green Dam users without technical or customer support.

In May 2009, authorities paid 41.7 million yuan (6.2 million dollars) to Beijing Dazheng and its co-developer in central Henan province to cover the cost of making the software and providing technical support for one year.

But the companies have received no further funding, the Beijing Times said Tuesday.

Earlier this year, California-based Cybersitter filed a 2.2-billion-dollar lawsuit in a US federal court against the , the two software firms and seven PC makers for stealing its code to make .

Explore further: Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

PC makers voluntarily supply Web filter in China

Jul 02, 2009

(AP) -- Several PC makers were including controversial Internet-filtering software with computers shipped in China on Thursday despite a government decision to postpone its plan to make such a step mandatory.

China wants PCs to come with anti-porn software

Jun 08, 2009

(AP) -- China wants all personal computers sold domestically to come with software that blocks online pornography, one of the developers said Monday, potentially giving the government another avenue to control ...

China to stick to controversial software rule

Jun 23, 2009

China will not back away from a new rule requiring that Internet filtering software be shipped with all computers sold in the country despite heavy criticism of the plan, state media has said.

China backs down from requirement for Web filter

Jun 30, 2009

(AP) -- In a rare reversal, China's government gave in to domestic and international pressure and backed down Tuesday from a rule that would have required personal computers sold in the country to have Internet-filtering ...

Companies appeal to China to drop Web filter plan

Jun 27, 2009

(AP) -- Global business groups have made an unusual direct appeal to Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao to scrap an order for personal computer makers to supply controversial Web filtering software, citing security and privacy concerns.

Recommended for you

Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

19 hours ago

Japan's biggest newspaper, Yomiuri Shimbun, featured a story about Sony Corp. on its website Friday. It wasn't about hacking. It was about the company's struggling tablet business.

Sony faces 4th ex-employee lawsuit over hack

Dec 20, 2014

A former director of technology for Sony Pictures Entertainment has sued the company over the data breach that resulted in the online posting of his private financial and personal information.

Sony tells AFP it still plans movie release

Dec 20, 2014

Sony Pictures boss Michael Lynton denied Friday the Hollywood studio has "caved" by canceling the release of "The Interview," and said it still hoped to release the controversial film.

2012 movie massacre hung over 'Interview' decision

Dec 19, 2014

When a group claiming credit for the hacking of Sony Pictures Entertainment threated violence against theaters showing "The Interview" earlier this week, the fate of the movie's big-screen life was all but ...

Clooney slams skittish Hollywood after Sony hack

Dec 19, 2014

Film star George Clooney slammed the Hollywood movie industry for failing to stand up against the cyber threats that prompted Sony Pictures to cancel release of the movie "The Interview."

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.