First round of bidding closes for Newsweek

Jun 03, 2010 by Chris Lefkow
A copy of Newsweek magazine and a copy of the Washington Post on sale at a news stand in Washington, DC. A first round of bidding closed for Newsweek magazine amid feverish speculation over who will step forward to buy the money-losing publication.

A first round of bidding closed for Newsweek magazine amid feverish speculation over who will step forward to buy the money-losing publication.

The deadline for non-binding letters of interest in The . Co.-owned weekly expired at 5:00 pm (2100 GMT) but a spokeswoman for the Post Co. said no details of any offers would be made available.

"No information is going to be released until the transaction is completed," Post Co. spokeswoman Rima Calderon told AFP.

Only one bidder had publicly confirmed its interest in Newsweek shortly after the expiry of the deadline -- Florida-based conservative publisher Newsmax.

"Newsmax Media, Inc. has made a bid for Newsweek," it said in a statement.

"The company's bid for Newsweek’s print and online assets is congruent with its objective to diversify and expand into numerous distinct media brand offerings, like any major multi-title publisher," Newsmax said.

"Newsweek's staff, advertisers and readers can be assured that if Newsmax Media, Inc.'s bid is successful, Newsweek's stellar brand and editorial representation would remain distinct from our other brands.

"Newsweek would continue in its mission to objectively report the news and provide analysis from a wide spectrum of perspectives," Newsmax said.

According to press reports, other bids may be in the works.

The said OpenGate Capital, the investment firm that owns TV Guide, is also interested in purchasing Newsweek and The reported that Thomson Reuters may "partner on a bid later in the process."

According to The New York Observer, Newsweek editor Jon Meacham may also be seeking to round up investors to put together a bid for the magazine.

Post Co. chairman Donald Graham announced on May 5 that the company had decided to sell Newsweek, which was founded in 1933 and purchased by the Post Co. in 1961.

"Newsweek is a lively, important magazine and website, and in the current climate, it might be a better fit elsewhere," Graham said.

"The losses at Newsweek in 2007-2009 are a matter of record," Graham said. "Despite heroic efforts on the part of Newsweek's management and staff, we expect it to still lose money in 2010."

Like many other US magazines, Newsweek has been grappling with a steep drop in print advertising revenue, steadily declining circulation and the migration of readers to free news online.

Newsweek, which has been engaged in a fierce decades-long rivalry with Time magazine, lost more than 28 million dollars last year and advertising revenue dropped 37 percent.

Susan Currie Sivek, an assistant professor in the Mass Communication and Journalism Department at California State University, Fresno, said whoever buys Newsweek will be facing a challenge.

"The role of the weekly newsmagazine is going to have to change in order to suit a world where even news analysis is available online 24/7, not just breaking news," Sivek said.

"Weekly newsmagazines will need to experiment with new delivery methods (such as applications and innovative Web formats), as well as new storytelling styles and multimedia, to show readers that there is still value in subscribing to their product," she said.

"They also need something that will appeal to younger news consumers," she added.

Explore further: Sony faces 4th ex-employee lawsuit over hack

add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Washington Post stems tide of red ink

Jul 31, 2009

The Washington Post Co. reversed its slide and posted a quarterly profit on Friday despite a steep decline in advertising revenue at its flagship newspaper.

Washington Post axes national weekly edition

Aug 10, 2009

The Washington Post is axing its national weekly edition, a publication featuring a selection from the daily newspaper whose circulation has dropped from 150,000 a decade ago to just 20,000 today.

Recommended for you

Sony faces 4th ex-employee lawsuit over hack

4 hours ago

A former director of technology for Sony Pictures Entertainment has sued the company over the data breach that resulted in the online posting of his private financial and personal information.

Sony tells AFP it still plans movie release

5 hours ago

Sony Pictures boss Michael Lynton denied Friday the Hollywood studio has "caved" by canceling the release of "The Interview," and said it still hoped to release the controversial film.

2012 movie massacre hung over 'Interview' decision

19 hours ago

When a group claiming credit for the hacking of Sony Pictures Entertainment threated violence against theaters showing "The Interview" earlier this week, the fate of the movie's big-screen life was all but ...

Clooney slams skittish Hollywood after Sony hack

Dec 19, 2014

Film star George Clooney slammed the Hollywood movie industry for failing to stand up against the cyber threats that prompted Sony Pictures to cancel release of the movie "The Interview."

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.