Google welcomes chance to export to Iran, Cuba

Mar 09, 2010 By FRANK JORDANS , Associated Press Writer

(AP) -- A senior Google executive welcomed on Tuesday a U.S. decision to relax restrictions on exporting Internet communications services to Iran, Sudan and Cuba.

Bob Boorstin, Google's director of policy communications, said the Web search company would now be able to offer some of its other products in those countries, such as the mapping satellite software Earth, photo management program Picasa and Internet chat client Google Talk.

"This is a great accomplishment," Boorstin told a human rights meeting in Geneva. "We are hopeful this will help people like yourselves in this room and activists all over the world take a small step down what is certainly a long road ahead."

The U.S. Treasury Department said the change to existing trade sanctions was intended to help people "exercise their most basic rights" with the help of instant messaging service and e-mail.

Google itself has come under fire recently in countries where it operates.

Last month, an Italian court held three Google executives criminally responsible for violating the country's for allowing a video of an autistic teenager being bullied to be posted online.

In January, Google threatened to leave China over attempts to snoop on Chinese dissidents' Gmail accounts from inside the country. China's government denies any involvement.

Boorstin described the Italian court's decision as a form of "" that would "encourage repressive regimes."

"From now on, you're criminally responsible for anything that appears on your Web site," he said. "That's certainly going to have a chilling effect on what people are willing to put up."

On China, Boorstin said Google was already offering a "a censored search engine" through the Google.cn domain to avoid meeting Chinese requirements for storing sensitive data about its users on servers in the country.

"If and when we pull out of China and turn off Google.cn, I'm afraid that we will be taking away from the Chinese populace a tool that they have come to value," he said.

Boorstin encouraged human rights activists also to rely on platforms other than the Internet for transmitting information.

Explore further: 2012 movie massacre hung over 'Interview' decision

not rated yet
add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Google to restart China talks: report

Feb 23, 2010

Google and Chinese officials will resume talks about whether the US firm can deliver unfiltered Internet search results in the world's most populous country, the Wall Street Journal reported Tuesday.

Google chided for China censorship deal

Jan 25, 2006

Google's decision to allow censorship of its search-engine results in China was chided by human-rights groups Wednesday and defended by company officials.

Google suspects hacking by China staff: report

Jan 19, 2010

Google is checking whether any of its China staff helped hackers lead a major cyberattack against the US Internet giant, which is now mulling whether to leave the country, a report said Tuesday.

Google still considering how to proceed in China

Mar 02, 2010

(AP) -- A Google Inc. executive said Tuesday that the company is still considering its next step in China - seven weeks after it pledged to stop censoring search results there and threatened to pull out of the country altogether.

Recommended for you

Sony faces 4th ex-employee lawsuit over hack

12 minutes ago

A former director of technology for Sony Pictures Entertainment has sued the company over the data breach that resulted in the online posting of his private financial and personal information.

Sony tells AFP it still plans movie release

1 hour ago

Sony Pictures boss Michael Lynton denied Friday the Hollywood studio has "caved" by canceling the release of "The Interview," and said it still hoped to release the controversial film.

2012 movie massacre hung over 'Interview' decision

14 hours ago

When a group claiming credit for the hacking of Sony Pictures Entertainment threated violence against theaters showing "The Interview" earlier this week, the fate of the movie's big-screen life was all but ...

Clooney slams skittish Hollywood after Sony hack

21 hours ago

Film star George Clooney slammed the Hollywood movie industry for failing to stand up against the cyber threats that prompted Sony Pictures to cancel release of the movie "The Interview."

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.