German high-tech sector flat in 2010: trade body

Mar 01, 2010

Germany's high-tech industry is not expected to return to growth until 2011 after a devastating recession in 2009, its chief lobby group said Monday ahead of the giant CeBIT trade fair.

Turnover this year will be at around the same level as last year, but in 2011, the sector is poised to grow by 1.6 percent to 142 billion euros (193 billion dollars), the BITKOM industry organisation said.

"Demand is taking off significantly, especially in the IT sector," said BITKOM President August-Wilhelm Scheer.

"The barriers for firms to invest in IT solutions are slowly disappearing. We expect a dramatic push from the CeBIT," Scheer told reporters in the northern German city of Hanover.

In 2009, the sector suffered a slump of 4.3 percent, Scheer said, as , Europe's biggest economy, suffered its worst recession since World War II.

"As before, demand is coming from individual consumers," Scheer said, adding that smartphones, mobile computers and flat screen televisions were the most sought-after.

Investment in IT is also beginning to thaw as companies see a brighter future, he said, adding that investment is set to grow by 1.4 percent in 2010, before registering 3.8 percent growth next year, according to BITKOM figures.

The mood among IT and firms has improved as the effects of the crisis begin to fade and investment begins to flow again.

Nearly two-thirds of German high-tech firms (59 percent) expect turnover growth in 2010, a level not seen since mid-2008, before the crisis hammered the sector, BITKOM said.

The bullish prediction came one day before the CeBIT, the world's biggest high-tech fair, throws its doors open to the public with Spain, the current EU president, this year's guest of honour.

German Chancellor and Spanish Prime Minister Jose Luis Rodriguez Zapatero were due to speak later Monday in an official opening ceremony before touring the exhibition early Tuesday.

A total of 4,157 firms from 68 countries are to unveil their latest gadgets, a decline of three percent on last year as many high-tech firms stay away amid strong competition from other events.

In a bid to arrest the slide, this year's has refocused its efforts on fun gadgets for consumers, hoping visitor numbers will be revived.

The fair runs until March 6.

Explore further: Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

German high-tech sector holds up: trade group

Mar 02, 2009

Germany's high-tech industry expects to buck the economic crisis this year with sales stagnating but not sinking, its chief lobby group said on Monday on the eve of the giant CeBIT trade fair.

Bullish Schwarzenegger pumps up giant tech fair

Mar 02, 2009

California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger, guest of honour at the world's biggest high-tech fair, told crisis-hit executives Monday to stop their whining and invest in the future.

Giant tech fair goes 3D to pull in the punters

Feb 28, 2010

The world's biggest high-tech fair kicks off Tuesday with a focus on "smart" gadgets as well as "Avatar"-inspired 3D products to make consumers' lives easier -- and more fun.

Recommended for you

Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

1 hour ago

Japan's biggest newspaper, Yomiuri Shimbun, featured a story about Sony Corp. on its website Friday. It wasn't about hacking. It was about the company's struggling tablet business.

Sony faces 4th ex-employee lawsuit over hack

6 hours ago

A former director of technology for Sony Pictures Entertainment has sued the company over the data breach that resulted in the online posting of his private financial and personal information.

Sony tells AFP it still plans movie release

7 hours ago

Sony Pictures boss Michael Lynton denied Friday the Hollywood studio has "caved" by canceling the release of "The Interview," and said it still hoped to release the controversial film.

2012 movie massacre hung over 'Interview' decision

20 hours ago

When a group claiming credit for the hacking of Sony Pictures Entertainment threated violence against theaters showing "The Interview" earlier this week, the fate of the movie's big-screen life was all but ...

Clooney slams skittish Hollywood after Sony hack

Dec 19, 2014

Film star George Clooney slammed the Hollywood movie industry for failing to stand up against the cyber threats that prompted Sony Pictures to cancel release of the movie "The Interview."

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.