Nokia Siemens Networks to lay off up to 5,700

Nov 03, 2009 By MATTI HUUHTANEN , Associated Press Writer

(AP) -- Nokia Siemens Networks said Tuesday it will lay off up to 5,700 workers globally as part of a move to cut annual costs by euro500 million ($740 million).

The mobile network equipment maker - a joint venture between Finland's Nokia Corp. and Siemens AG of Germany - said it will reduce its five business units to three by January, and strengthen its business through partnerships and acquisitions.

The savings program could include cutting 7 to 9 percent of its current global work force of some 64,000 employees, the mobile network equipment maker said.

The company has been hard hit by waning demand in the recession and cited "changes in the and competitive environment" for the cost cuts. It said it will also reduce overheads, expand its portfolio and consider acquisitions "where assets would add scale to existing product areas or customer relationships."

"As our customers make purchasing decisions, they want a partner who engages in issues well beyond a traditional discussion of technology," said Rajeev Suri, the new chief executive officer of Nokia Siemens Networks.

The company, formed in April 2007 by Nokia, the world's top mobile phone maker, and industrial conglomerate Siemens, saw a 21 percent drop in sales in the third quarter to euro2.8 billion, with an operating loss deepening to euro1.1 billion, from euro1 million a year earlier.

Last month, Nokia upgraded estimates for the global network infrastructure market, predicting a 5 percent fall in euro terms in 2009, but warned that it expects Nokia Siemens' loss in market share to be bigger than its previous forecast of a "moderate decline."

Nokia Siemens' main rivals in the mobile infrastructure industry are global market leader L.M. Ericsson of Sweden and French-American company Alcatel-Lucent.

Nokia's share price fell was almost unchanged at euro8.66 ($12.79) in afternoon trading in Helsinki. In Frankfurt, Siemens stock was down more than 1 percent at euro60.78 ($89.78).

In October, Nokia CEO Olli-Pekka Kallasvuo said the company's networks operations should become "a significant part, as it should be, of the profitability of Nokia, and Siemens too," adding that was "room for new thinking here."

, based in Espoo just outside Helsinki, is one of the world's biggest makers of wireless networks. It is a 50-50 joint venture of Nokia and Siemens.

----

On the Net:

Siemens: http://www.nokiasiemensnetworks.com

©2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Explore further: Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Nokia posts loss of $832 million in third quarter

Oct 15, 2009

(AP) -- World-leading mobile phone maker Nokia Corp. on Thursday reported a loss of euro559 million ($832 million) in the third quarter, taking hits from a 20 percent drop in sales and a one-time charge for the fallen value ...

Nokia profit plunges 90 percent in Q1

Apr 16, 2009

(AP) -- Nokia Corp. on Thursday said profits plummeted 90 percent in the first quarter because of fading demand for mobile phones amid the worldwide downturn - but its shares surged as analysts had expected ...

Nokia posts 66 pct fall in Q2 profits, shares drop

Jul 16, 2009

(AP) -- The world's top cell phone maker, Nokia Corp., on Thursday said second-quarter earnings fell 66 percent as the global recession sapped demand. The company scrapped its target to gain market share this year and its ...

Nokia to lay off 1,700 worldwide

Mar 17, 2009

(AP) -- Nokia Corp. said Tuesday it will lay off 1,700 people worldwide to cut costs, as the global economic downturn strikes deeper into the mobile phone sector.

Nortel to sell itself off in pieces

Jun 20, 2009

(AP) -- Nortel Networks, once a technology giant, has decided to sell itself off in pieces rather than attempt to emerge from bankruptcy as a restructured company.

Recommended for you

Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

18 hours ago

Japan's biggest newspaper, Yomiuri Shimbun, featured a story about Sony Corp. on its website Friday. It wasn't about hacking. It was about the company's struggling tablet business.

Sony faces 4th ex-employee lawsuit over hack

22 hours ago

A former director of technology for Sony Pictures Entertainment has sued the company over the data breach that resulted in the online posting of his private financial and personal information.

Sony tells AFP it still plans movie release

23 hours ago

Sony Pictures boss Michael Lynton denied Friday the Hollywood studio has "caved" by canceling the release of "The Interview," and said it still hoped to release the controversial film.

2012 movie massacre hung over 'Interview' decision

Dec 19, 2014

When a group claiming credit for the hacking of Sony Pictures Entertainment threated violence against theaters showing "The Interview" earlier this week, the fate of the movie's big-screen life was all but ...

Clooney slams skittish Hollywood after Sony hack

Dec 19, 2014

Film star George Clooney slammed the Hollywood movie industry for failing to stand up against the cyber threats that prompted Sony Pictures to cancel release of the movie "The Interview."

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.