Los Angeles OKs plan to use Google Web services

Oct 27, 2009 By JACOB ADELMAN , Associated Press Writer
Google Docs

(AP) -- The Los Angeles City Council has tentatively approved a multimillion-dollar proposal to tap Google Inc. for government e-mail and other Internet services.

The vote on Tuesday shows progress in Google's plan to wrest market share for office software from rival Corp.

The council voted unanimously for the $7.2 million deal with contractor Computer Sciences Corp. to replace many city computer systems with the so-called Apps services. The contract's implementation is contingent on Computer Science's agreement to pay a penalty if a security breach occurs.

The city's police officers' union and raised security concerns over the plan because it places data online rather than on individual computers under a government agency's direct control.

©2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Explore further: Dating app Tinder premium plan aims at under-30 crowd (Update)

add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Concerns raised as LA looks to Google Web services

Jul 17, 2009

(AP) -- Security and privacy concerns have been raised over a multimillion-dollar proposal by Los Angeles to tap Google Inc.'s Internet-based services for government e-mail, police records and other confidential ...

Executive who led Google's China expansion leaving

Sep 04, 2009

(AP) -- The executive who led Google Inc.'s expansion in China after being hired away from Microsoft Corp. following a high-profile court battle is leaving to start his own business, the U.S. search engine ...

Google launches rare ad campaign to sell more apps

Aug 03, 2009

(AP) -- Google Inc. is so well known that it has become a synonym for search, making advertising unnecessary. Getting businesses to buy Google's online suite of office applications requires a little more ...

Obama setting up better security for computers

May 29, 2009

(AP) -- America has for too long failed to adequately protect the security of its computer networks, President Barack Obama said Friday, announcing he will name a new cyber czar to take on the job.

Recommended for you

Twitter working with probe on online threats

19 hours ago

Twitter said Monday it was working with law enforcement officials on unspecified threats, amid reports that the social network had been targeted for blocking accounts linked to the Islamic State.

IOC defends Rio legacy amid green protests

Mar 01, 2015

Ecological protests on Saturday dogged the final day of an International Olympic Committee executive board meeting in Rio as green campaigners slated the choice of a nature reserve to hold the golf event ...

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.