LG says mobile market holding up, launching Android phones

Jun 16, 2009
LG L1400

LG Electronics Inc. said Tuesday that the mobile phone market was holding up despite the global slump and announced plans to launch three models powered by Google's Android operating system this year.

"The market is actually holding up versus last year... I think the recession impact is less than what we expected last year," said Chang Ma, the Korean giant's vice president of marketing strategy for mobile communications.

In an interview with Dow Jones Newswires, Ma said LG, the world's third largest maker in shipment terms, was eyeing 10 percent market share this year.

"If you figure the market is about 1.1 billion, then our sales volume is supposed to be 110 million," he said.

In 2008, it shipped 100.7 million handsets worldwide and its operating profit margin from the business was 11 percent.

According to market research firm Strategy Analytics, LG's market share in the first quarter was 9.2 percent, up from 8.6 percent a year earlier.

The company trails Corp. of Finland and Samsung Electronics Co., also based in South Korea.

LG is planning to launch three different Android-powered devices in the third or fourth quarter this year, with more due out in 2010.

is Google's open-source operating software for mobile phones with Internet capabilities. US telecom operator T-Mobile began selling the first Android-based phone known as the G1 last year.

The global mobile phone market has been hit hard by the broad economic downturn.

ABI Research said in a report that worldwide handset shipments fell 11.9 percent during the first quarter from a year earlier to 255.6 million units.

LG's Ma said the company was expecting a gradual improvement in demand during the second half of this year.

Global handset sales this year will likely remain flat or fall slightly compared with 2008, instead of analysts' forecasts of an eight to 15 percent decline, the executive said.

LG will not cut prices for the sake of expanding its market share in handsets, he said.

His comments came after rival Samsung said Monday that it expected the global handset market to remain weak for the rest of 2009 but expressed confidence of hitting its shipment goal of 200 million units this year.

(c) 2009 AFP

Explore further: Millions without mobile phone service in Argentina

add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Mobile phone sales up six pct in 2008, 4th qtr weak

Mar 03, 2009

Mobile phone sales grew by six percent in 2008 over the previous year but fell nearly five percent in the fourth quarter as the global economy weakened, market research firm Gartner said on Tuesday.

Mobile-phone shipments up 25 percent

Oct 25, 2005

Global mobile-phone shipments reached a record 209 million during the third quarter of 2005 as industry prices continue to soften.

Strong sales not leading to mobile profits

Jan 26, 2006

Mobile-phone manufacturers are finding that global demand for handsets is almost insatiable, as consumers in wealthy countries flock to update their phones with the latest multi-functioning products, while those in poorer ...

Nokia profit plunges 90 percent in Q1

Apr 16, 2009

(AP) -- Nokia Corp. on Thursday said profits plummeted 90 percent in the first quarter because of fading demand for mobile phones amid the worldwide downturn - but its shares surged as analysts had expected ...

Recommended for you

Sony hacking fallout puts all companies on alert

9 hours ago

Companies across the globe are on high alert to tighten up network security to avoid being the next company brought to its knees by hackers like those that executed the dramatic cyberattack against Sony Pictures ...

Ear-check via phone can ease path to diagnosis

10 hours ago

Ear infections are common in babies and young children. That it is a frequent reason for young children's visit to doctors comes as no consolation for the parents of babies tugging at their ears and crying ...

Timeline of the Sony Pictures Entertainment hack

11 hours ago

It's been four weeks since hackers calling themselves Guardians of Peace began their cyberterrorism campaign against Sony Pictures Entertainment. In that time thousands of executive emails and other documents ...

Two more former Sony workers sue over data breach

11 hours ago

Two more former employees of Sony Pictures Entertainment are suing the company over the massive data breach in which their personal and financial information was stolen and posted online.

Files of more than 40,000 federal workers breached (Update)

11 hours ago

The computer files of more than 40,000 federal workers may have been compromised by a cyberattack at federal contractor KeyPoint Government Solutions, the second breach this year at a major firm handling national security ...

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.