Monster settles SEC backdating charges for $2.5M

May 18, 2009

(AP) -- Monster Worldwide Inc., which runs the Monster job search Web site, has agreed to pay $2.5 million to settle federal civil charges that it secretly backdated options for its executives and employees.

The charged the company Monday, and it settled the same day. Monster neither admitted nor denied the charges.

The New York-based company's former executives have been the target of securities fraud charges over the same issue.

Monster said the settlement reflects the extensive cooperation its new management team offered to the SEC.

"This is an important step in closing an unfortunate chapter in the company's history and putting the issue firmly behind us," Chairman and Chief Executive Sal Iannuzzi said in a statement.

The fine is less than the amount previously accrued by the company for a settlement.

The company has restated its 1997-2005 results to add $339.5 million in noncash charges for options that were given away "in the " rather than at strike prices equal to the day's .

Andrew McKelvey, the founder and former chief executive of Monster, last year agreed to pay the company more than $8 million as part of a settlement into backdating claims.

McKelvey also settled charges from the SEC and federal prosecutors, agreeing to pay a penalty of $276,000.

©2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Explore further: Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

SEC drops options case vs former McAfee lawyer

Mar 19, 2009

(AP) -- The Securities and Exchange Commission says it has dropped its lawsuit against McAfee Inc.'s former general counsel which accused him of illegally tampering with stock options.

Flash memory firm requests filing delay

Jul 05, 2006

Flash memory chip maker M-Systems, amid a probe of stock-options grants, has requested an extension for filing its 2005 annual report, the company said.

Intel CEO gets $12.4M in 2008 pay

Mar 23, 2009

(AP) -- The value of Intel Corp. Chief Executive Paul Otellini's compensation package rose slightly to $12.4 million in 2008, a year in which the chip maker's profit was whacked by a global slowdown in personal computer ...

Shareholders Want a Greener Apple

Apr 28, 2007

In a filing with the SEC, a group of investors asks Apple to adopt better environmental standards for the manufacturing of the Mac.

Ex-CEO of BetOnSports pleads guilty

Apr 01, 2009

(AP) -- The former chief executive of BetOnSports pleaded guilty Wednesday to federal racketeering conspiracy, admitting that the Internet company falsely portrayed Web-based gambling as legal and caused customers to lose ...

Underwater stock options drive top executives turnover

Nov 20, 2008

When the market price of company stock falls below the exercise price, the options are considered to be "out of the money" or underwater. Many publicly traded firms have become concerned about retaining highly valued executives ...

Recommended for you

Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

19 hours ago

Japan's biggest newspaper, Yomiuri Shimbun, featured a story about Sony Corp. on its website Friday. It wasn't about hacking. It was about the company's struggling tablet business.

Sony faces 4th ex-employee lawsuit over hack

Dec 20, 2014

A former director of technology for Sony Pictures Entertainment has sued the company over the data breach that resulted in the online posting of his private financial and personal information.

Sony tells AFP it still plans movie release

Dec 20, 2014

Sony Pictures boss Michael Lynton denied Friday the Hollywood studio has "caved" by canceling the release of "The Interview," and said it still hoped to release the controversial film.

2012 movie massacre hung over 'Interview' decision

Dec 19, 2014

When a group claiming credit for the hacking of Sony Pictures Entertainment threated violence against theaters showing "The Interview" earlier this week, the fate of the movie's big-screen life was all but ...

Clooney slams skittish Hollywood after Sony hack

Dec 19, 2014

Film star George Clooney slammed the Hollywood movie industry for failing to stand up against the cyber threats that prompted Sony Pictures to cancel release of the movie "The Interview."

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.