(AP) -- A U.S. health official says now only about 10 percent of the Americans who got swine flu had traveled to Mexico and likely picked up the infection there. Most got the bug at home.
That's a change from over the weekend when the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said about a third of the U.S. cases at that point were people who had been to Mexico, where the outbreak began.
The CDC's acting chief, Dr. Richard Besser, said Thursday that there are now nearly 900 confirmed cases. He says the ongoing spread within the U.S. borders explains why a shrinking proportion of cases are people who traveled to Mexico.
The ages of those who got swine flu now range from 1 month to 87.
©2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Explore further: New York confirms first Ebola case