Nevada confirms 7th hepatitis case

Mar 20, 2008

An investigation into a hepatitis C outbreak in Nevada has found a seventh case, this one linked to another endoscopy center owned by Dr. Dipak Desai.

The case was diagnosed in 2006 but never reported to the Southern Nevada Health District. Officials said it appears the illness was contracted at the Desert Shadow Endoscopy Center, the agency said Wednesday.

The patient, who tested negative before undergoing a procedure at the endoscopy center, was diagnosed with acute hepatitis C several weeks after the procedure.

"Our investigation is continuing regarding this potential case and we currently do not have enough information to determine what type of notification is required," said Dr. Lawrence Sands, the district's chief health officer, said in a statement.

Desai also owns Endoscopy Center of Southern Nevada, which is at the center of the outbreak investigation after it was found that syringes were being reused and single dose vials of anesthesia medication were being used on multiple patients.

Copyright 2008 by United Press International

Explore further: Ebola: Why virus kills some, other people survive

add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Police raid Nevada clinics

Mar 12, 2008

Authorities investigating a hepatitis outbreak have seized patient records from six southern Nevada medical offices.

Recommended for you

Big strides made in fighting TB, says WHO

2 hours ago

The known tally of people with tuberculosis rose last year but overall "major progress" is being made in rolling back the disease, the World Health Organization (WHO) said Wednesday.

In US, Ebola fears rise but most confident in response

7 hours ago

After two health care workers in Texas were infected with Ebola while caring for a Liberian patient, a poll Tuesday showed a rattled US public that nevertheless stayed confident in the government's response.

User comments : 0