The U.S. Food and Drug Administration issued a warning Monday for consumers to avoid eating fresh ginger imported from China.
Officials said the California Department of Public Health found the product sold in northern California possibly contains aldicarb sulfoxide -- a pesticide that is not approved for use on ginger.
The product was distributed by Albertson supermarkets and Save Mart stores in northern California. It was distributed by the Christopher Ranch of Gilroy, Calif.
The FDA said it was tracing the full distribution of the fresh ginger from the importer -- Modern Trading Inc. in Alhambra, Calif. -- to identify all areas in which the ginger was sold.
Symptoms of aldicarb poisoning in humans are likely to occur within the first hour following exposure and can include flu-like symptoms such as nausea, headache, and blurred vision -- all of which disappear within 5-6 hours. However, at higher levels, ingestion of aldicarb contaminated food can also cause dizziness, salivation, excessive sweating, vomiting, diarrhea, and difficulty in breathing.
Copyright 2007 by United Press International
Explore further: Experts call for higher exam pass marks to close performance gap between international and UK medical graduates