Russian firm besieged with rocket orders

Jul 17, 2007

Russia's Khrunichev State Research and Production Space Center has received 14 orders for the Proton carrier rockets the firm manufactures.

Center Director Vladimir Nesterov said the research facility has been overwhelmed by the recent influx of orders and employees are struggling to meet the sudden demand for Proton rocket launches, RIA Novosti reported Sunday.

"So far there are more orders than we can fulfill," Nesterov said of that demand.

While the space center significantly increased the cost of its launch services last year, Nesterov said numerous customers in Europe have nonetheless requested the center's services.

The research center has become a major manufacturer of rocket boosters for other nations and its products have even been added to the International Space Station.

Nesterov said among those facilities asking the Khrynichev center to organize a commercial rocket launch is the European Space Agency.

The Russian news agency reported the company already has created a launch portfolio through 2009 and is in the midst of organizing launch orders for 2010.

Copyright 2007 by United Press International

Explore further: Research suggests Mars once had more water than Earth's Arctic ocean

add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Russia works to fix satellite's off-target orbit (Update)

Dec 09, 2012

Russian scientists were working to correct the orbit of a communications satellite Sunday after it failed to reach its designated location in spaceā€”the latest setback for the country's once-pioneering space ...

Khrunichev Space Center Head Dismissed

Nov 30, 2005

Alexander Medvedev, the director-general of the Khrunichev Space Center has been dismissed, the center said in a news release Monday, reports RIA Novosti.

Recommended for you

Testing to diagnose power event in Mars rover

13 hours ago

NASA's Curiosity Mars rover is expected to remain stationary for several days of engineering analysis following an onboard fault-protection action on Feb. 27 that halted a process of transferring sample material ...

ESA experts assess risk from exploded satellite

14 hours ago

After studying the recent explosive break-up of a US satellite, ESA space debris experts have concluded this event does not increase the collision risk to nearby ESA missions in any meaningful way.

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.