Africa's first music download service launches in Senegal

February 24, 2016
Renowned Senegalese musician Baaba Maal is among almost 200 artists who have signed agreements with "MusikBi", Africa'
Renowned Senegalese musician Baaba Maal is among almost 200 artists who have signed agreements with "MusikBi", Africa's first home-grown platform for legal music downloads

Africa's first home-grown platform for legal music downloads launched in Senegal on Wednesday with a mission to promote African artists, pay them properly, and fight internet piracy.

Internationally famous musicians such as Youssou Ndour and Baaba Maal are among almost 200 who have signed agreements with "MusikBi", along with younger rappers, jazz artists and Christian and Muslim vocalists.

The platform draws its name from the word for in Wolof, the language widely spoken in Senegal and neighbouring Gambia, said project developer Moustapha Diop at the launch in Dakar.

Songs cost between 300 and 500 FCFA (50-85 US cents) and users can download them using mobile phone credit in a region where few have .

"It is the first platform of its kind enabling music downloads by text or PayPal," said a statement released by Diop's company, Solid.

Solid noted that many African music artists "cannot live comfortably by the proceeds of their work", adding the platform offered a chance for "promotion and to allow them to make a living from their art."

Concerts were one of the few ways local artists had to really make money, the firm noted.

Piracy and changing consumer habits have seen record sales drop across the continent, with illegal downloads tempting African consumers looking online for music while copyright enforcement remains relatively weak.

A source within the Solid group told AFP that after mobile operators took their share, kept 60 percent of their income from the service, while MusikBi took the remaining 40 percent.

MusikBi does not offer a streaming service as local internet speeds are prohibitive for the format, especially in a mobile-driven market.

Explore further: Pete Townshend brands iTunes a 'digital vampire'

Related Stories

Digital song downloads slipped further in first half of year

September 21, 2015

Digital downloads of songs continued to fall out of favor with Americans in the first half of the year, while free and paid music-streaming revenue kept growing, even without much of a bump from the launch of Apple Music.

SoundCloud signs with Universal ahead of subscription launch

January 13, 2016

SoundCloud, a streaming music platform that has become home to garage bands and other artists who don't mind releasing tracks online for free, said Wednesday that it had reached a licensing deal with Universal Music Group.

Recommended for you

Inferring urban travel patterns from cellphone data

August 29, 2016

In making decisions about infrastructure development and resource allocation, city planners rely on models of how people move through their cities, on foot, in cars, and on public transportation. Those models are largely ...

How machine learning can help with voice disorders

August 29, 2016

There's no human instinct more basic than speech, and yet, for many people, talking can be taxing. 1 in 14 working-age Americans suffer from voice disorders that are often associated with abnormal vocal behaviors - some of ...

Apple issues update after cyber weapon captured

August 26, 2016

Apple iPhone owners on Friday were urged to install a quickly released security update after a sophisticated attack on an Emirati dissident exposed vulnerabilities targeted by cyber arms dealers.

1 comment

Adjust slider to filter visible comments by rank

Display comments: newest first

DonGateley
not rated yet Feb 24, 2016
When they gain the ability to stream I will subscribe in a heartbeat.

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.