Samsung to buy US tech firm SmartThings

Aug 15, 2014
Samsung says it has reached a deal to buy a US home automation startup SmartThings

Samsung said Friday it had reached a deal to buy a US home automation startup SmartThings, as the South Korean electronics giant aims to expand beyond the increasingly saturated smartphone market.

The world's top smartphone maker said it had entered into a deal to buy the US app maker, which allows people to monitor and control their via mobile devices.

"With Samsung's resources and support, SmartThings will be able to expand its platform and become available for even more partners and devices," Samsung said in a statement.

It gave no details of the value of the deal.

SmartThings will continue to operate independently under its founder and CEO Alex Hawkinson and will become part of Samsung's Open Innovation Centre, the statement said.

The centre is responsible for developing Samsung's new software and services.

"We are committed to maintaining SmartThings' , fostering more explosive growth, and becoming its newest strategic partner," the centre's head, David Eun, said in the statement.

SmartThings, founded in 2012, has built an open platform that supports about 1,000 devices.

Samsung produces electronic products including handsets, memory chips, TVs and other home appliances like washing machines and refrigerators.

But the company earns more than a half of its sales and profits from its mobile business, which is faced with increasing competition in an increasingly saturated market.

Samsung last month reported a 20-percent drop in its net profit for the second quarter with analysts predicting a bleak future for its key mobile unit.

The firm has ramped up efforts to promote Internet-enabled wearable devices like smartwatches, in a move towards the market for the Internet of Things, in which household appliances and electronic devices are connected through the network.

Explore further: Samsung delays Tizen smartphone sales launch

add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Samsung delays Tizen smartphone sales launch

Jul 28, 2014

Samsung Electronics said Monday it would postpone the roll-out of its new smartphone based on Tizen, a home-grown operating system aimed at breaking away from Google's Android system.

New Samsung phone marks break from Android

Jun 02, 2014

Samsung announced Monday the launch of a new smartphone based on its own operating system, in a step towards independence from the Google Android platform that dominates its popular handsets.

Xiaomi beats Samsung in Chinese smartphone market

Aug 05, 2014

Xiaomi, a Chinese handset maker little known in the West, overtook tech giant Samsung Electronics Co. to become China's top-selling smartphone brand in the second quarter, a market research company said Tuesday.

Samsung, LG launch smartwatches with new Google software

Jun 26, 2014

South Korea's Samsung and LG on Thursday launched rival smartwatches powered by Google's new software as they jostle to lead an increasingly competitive market for wearable devices seen as the mobile industry's ...

Recommended for you

Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

11 hours ago

Japan's biggest newspaper, Yomiuri Shimbun, featured a story about Sony Corp. on its website Friday. It wasn't about hacking. It was about the company's struggling tablet business.

Sony faces 4th ex-employee lawsuit over hack

16 hours ago

A former director of technology for Sony Pictures Entertainment has sued the company over the data breach that resulted in the online posting of his private financial and personal information.

Sony tells AFP it still plans movie release

17 hours ago

Sony Pictures boss Michael Lynton denied Friday the Hollywood studio has "caved" by canceling the release of "The Interview," and said it still hoped to release the controversial film.

2012 movie massacre hung over 'Interview' decision

Dec 19, 2014

When a group claiming credit for the hacking of Sony Pictures Entertainment threated violence against theaters showing "The Interview" earlier this week, the fate of the movie's big-screen life was all but ...

Clooney slams skittish Hollywood after Sony hack

Dec 19, 2014

Film star George Clooney slammed the Hollywood movie industry for failing to stand up against the cyber threats that prompted Sony Pictures to cancel release of the movie "The Interview."

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.