HK court: Tycoon can sue Google over autocomplete (Update)

Aug 06, 2014 by Kelvin Chan
In this March 22, 2009 file photo, Albert Yeung, left, chairman of the Hong Kong media conglomerate Emperor Entertainment Group and his wife attend the premiere of his film " Shinjuku Incident " as part of the kickoff for The 33rd Hong Kong International Film Festival in Hong Kong. A court has ruled that the Hong Kong tycoon can sue Google over its autocomplete results suggesting he has links to organized crime. In a judgment released Wednesday, Aug. 6, 2014, the court dismissed the Internet search giant's objections to tycoon Albert Yeung's defamation lawsuit.(AP Photo/Vincent Yu, File)

A court has ruled that a Hong Kong tycoon can sue Google over its autocomplete results suggesting he has links to organized crime.

In a judgment released Wednesday, the court dismissed the Internet search giant's objections to tycoon Albert Yeung's defamation lawsuit.

Yeung filed the lawsuit after Google refused to remove autocomplete suggestions such as "triad," as organized crime gangs are known in China, which popped up with searches on his name.

The billionaire's business empire includes an entertainment company that produces films and manages some of the city's biggest celebrities. He argues that his reputation has been "gravely injured" and wants compensation.

Judge Marlene Ng disagreed with Google's lawyers, who argued Yeung was better off asking the websites where the defamatory information was published to remove it. She said Google had the ability to censor material.

"Any risk of misinformation can spread easily as users forage in the web. The art is to find the comfortable equilibrium in between," she said in her ruling.

It's the latest legal headache for Google over its search service. Earlier this year, the European Union's top court ruled that Google and other search engines must respond to requests seeking removal of links to personal information.

Last year, a German court ruled in favor of a nutritional supplements company and its owner who sued Google to remove autocomplete terms suggesting links to Scientology and fraud.

Justin Davidson, a partner at law firm Norton Rose Fulbright, said that while the Hong Kong defamation case has yet to go to trial, "the principle at stake here could have important ramifications for how Google may need to adapt more pro-actively its search engine in future."

He said that would be akin to changes happening in Europe with fast growth in "right to forget" requests that Google and other search engines are now receiving.

A Google spokesman declined to comment.

Explore further: Spike in requests to remove Google search results

More information: Online: legalref.judiciary.gov.hk/lrs/common/ju/judgment.jsp

Related Stories

Bing offers to 'forget' links in Europe searches

Jul 17, 2014

Microsoft on Wednesday followed in Google's footsteps by letting people in Europe ask to have links related to them 'forgotten' on its search engine Bing, under the auspices of a court ruling.

Recommended for you

ICANN chief stepping down in early 2016

May 21, 2015

The head of the group that oversees all Internet addresses will step down early next year, after a plan to end US oversight of the key nonprofit organization.

How alternative currencies could catch on and cash in

May 21, 2015

Alternatives to cash, like Bitcoin and Uber, may never replace the coins in our pockets or paper bills in our wallets, but they are creating significant social and economic impacts, and with some design adjustments, ...

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.