US clears $2.3 bln Lenovo deal for IBM unit

Aug 15, 2014

IBM said Friday that US authorities had cleared a $2.3 billion deal allowing China-based Lenovo to take over its server unit after a national security review.

The Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States (CFIUS), which reviews takeovers which could have implications, notified IBM "of the successful conclusion of the committee's review," the company said in a statement.

"The clearance by CFIUS of this transaction is good news for both IBM and Lenovo, and for our customers and employees," it said.

"The parties now look forward to closing the transaction."

The approval "enables IBM to focus on system and software innovations that bring new kinds of value to IBM clients in areas such as cognitive computing, Big Data and cloud," IBM added.

In 2005, Lenovo bought IBM's personal computer unit, and the Chinese group has since become the largest manufacturer in the sector.

Explore further: Lenovo eyes takeover, with IBM server unit in focus

add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

IBM to work to curb China pollution

Jul 07, 2014

IBM said Monday it had signed an agreement to help curb pollution in China, starting with the dangerous smog that afflicts Beijing.

Recommended for you

China's Xiaomi raises more than $1 bn in funding

Dec 21, 2014

China's top smartphone seller Xiaomi Corp. is raising more than $1 billion in a fresh round of funding, a move which would raise its valuation above $45 billion, a report said Sunday.

Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

Dec 20, 2014

Japan's biggest newspaper, Yomiuri Shimbun, featured a story about Sony Corp. on its website Friday. It wasn't about hacking. It was about the company's struggling tablet business.

Sony faces 4th ex-employee lawsuit over hack

Dec 20, 2014

A former director of technology for Sony Pictures Entertainment has sued the company over the data breach that resulted in the online posting of his private financial and personal information.

Sony tells AFP it still plans movie release

Dec 20, 2014

Sony Pictures boss Michael Lynton denied Friday the Hollywood studio has "caved" by canceling the release of "The Interview," and said it still hoped to release the controversial film.

2012 movie massacre hung over 'Interview' decision

Dec 19, 2014

When a group claiming credit for the hacking of Sony Pictures Entertainment threated violence against theaters showing "The Interview" earlier this week, the fate of the movie's big-screen life was all but ...

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.