HP CEO Whitman assumes chairman's role

Jul 17, 2014

Hewlett-Packard said Thursday that chief executive Meg Whitman would chair the US tech giant, after the resignation of non-executive chairman Ralph Whitworth.

"Meg has been an outstanding leader since coming to HP, and we believe that as chairman she can most effectively drive the turnaround and continue to build value for our shareholders," said Gary Reiner, chairman of the board's nominating committee.

Whitman, who previously was at eBay, has been president and of HP since September 2011.

The news came just two days after Whitworth said he was stepping down for health reasons.

The company said Patricia Russo, a former CEO at Alcatel-Lucent, would be the lead independent director on the board.

Additionally, Alcoa CEO and chairman Klaus Kleinfeld has been appointed to the board, bringing the total number of to 12.

HP is undergoing a massive reorganization to cope with the move away from traditional personal computers to mobile devices.

The California company said in May that it was cutting an additional 11,000 to 16,000 jobs on top of 34,000 reductions planned under a program begun in 2012.

Explore further: Hewlett-Packard Interim Chairman Whitworth resigns

add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

HP cutting at least 850 jobs in Germany

Feb 01, 2013

US computer giant Hewlett-Packard said Friday it was closing its enterprise software operation in Ruesselsheim, Germany, in a move eliminating at least 850 jobs.

Recommended for you

Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

3 hours ago

Japan's biggest newspaper, Yomiuri Shimbun, featured a story about Sony Corp. on its website Friday. It wasn't about hacking. It was about the company's struggling tablet business.

Sony faces 4th ex-employee lawsuit over hack

8 hours ago

A former director of technology for Sony Pictures Entertainment has sued the company over the data breach that resulted in the online posting of his private financial and personal information.

Sony tells AFP it still plans movie release

9 hours ago

Sony Pictures boss Michael Lynton denied Friday the Hollywood studio has "caved" by canceling the release of "The Interview," and said it still hoped to release the controversial film.

2012 movie massacre hung over 'Interview' decision

22 hours ago

When a group claiming credit for the hacking of Sony Pictures Entertainment threated violence against theaters showing "The Interview" earlier this week, the fate of the movie's big-screen life was all but ...

Clooney slams skittish Hollywood after Sony hack

Dec 19, 2014

Film star George Clooney slammed the Hollywood movie industry for failing to stand up against the cyber threats that prompted Sony Pictures to cancel release of the movie "The Interview."

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.