Judge sets bail for shamed ex-boss of Spanish wifi firm

Jul 14, 2014
Disgraced ex-boss of Spanish wifi provider Let's Gowex, Jenaro Garcia Martin, leaves the courthouse in Madrid on July 14, 2014

The disgraced ex-boss of Spanish wifi provider Let's Gowex faces up to 10 years in jail for years of financial fraud, a judge said on Monday, setting his bail at 600,000 euros ($816,00).

Judge Santiago Pedraz in Spain's highest criminal gave the company's former chief executive Jenaro Garcia Martin 15 days to come up with the money or else be taken into custody.

The judge also prohibited Garcia Martin from leaving the country and seized his passport as a precautionary measure.

Gowex, which offered wifi services in public spaces in over 90 cities around the world including Paris and New York, announced on July 6 that Garcia Martin had admitted faking its results for "at least" four years.

On July 10 the company made a preliminary court filing for bankruptcy protection in a case that has raised questions about Spain's regulation of its financial markets.

Gowex's collapse prompted a flight by investors from Madrid's junior market, the Alternative Equity Market, where Gowex is listed.

Garcia Martin was questioned in the immediate aftermath of the scandal.

After Gowex announced that he had faked the firm's results and had resigned, Garcia Martin said he had made a "voluntary confession in court" and was willing to cooperate with the justice system.

During Monday's court appearance, which lasted around two hours, Garcia Martin handed his laptop and mobile phone to the investigating judge and admitted that he falsified the company's accounts and invoices.

He also told the judge that he had a bank account in Luxembourg with around three million euros.

The said in a written ruling that Garcia Martin is suspected of several crimes including insider trading, falsification of economic and financial information and false accounting.

The European professional association ASINVER filed a suit on July 4 against Gowex with the Spanish public prosecutor alleging false accounting.

Explore further: Wifi firm Gowex says results fake, heads to bankruptcy

add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Spain's Gowex wifi scandal bruises small firms

Jul 07, 2014

Startling revelations of at least four years of false accounting by Spanish free wifi provider Let's Gowex threatened Monday to inflict broad damage on the reputation of small and medium-sized firms seeki ...

YouTube ordered to take down anti-Muslim film

Feb 27, 2014

(AP)—A U.S. appeals court ordered YouTube on Wednesday to take down an anti-Muslim film that sparked violent riots in parts of the Middle East and death threats to the actors.

Appeals court orders new trial in Brocade case

Aug 18, 2009

(AP) -- A federal appeals court has tossed out the criminal conviction of the first Silicon Valley executive to go to trial in a stock options scandal that triggered charges against at least a dozen executives.

Recommended for you

As dust clears, what's next for Sony?

2 minutes ago

The Sony hacking attack continues to deliver more dramatic plotlines than any fictional movie, but meanwhile the movie studio must move forward and tackle the next steps in minimizing the mess. Will Sony ...

It's down to the wire for online shopping

3 hours ago

As the holiday shopping season winds down, FedEx, UPS and online retailers are using the last few days to try to avoid the problems that occurred last year when severe winter weather and a surge in late orders ...

China's Xiaomi raises more than $1 bn in funding

Dec 21, 2014

China's top smartphone seller Xiaomi Corp. is raising more than $1 billion in a fresh round of funding, a move which would raise its valuation above $45 billion, a report said Sunday.

Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

Dec 20, 2014

Japan's biggest newspaper, Yomiuri Shimbun, featured a story about Sony Corp. on its website Friday. It wasn't about hacking. It was about the company's struggling tablet business.

Sony faces 4th ex-employee lawsuit over hack

Dec 20, 2014

A former director of technology for Sony Pictures Entertainment has sued the company over the data breach that resulted in the online posting of his private financial and personal information.

Sony tells AFP it still plans movie release

Dec 20, 2014

Sony Pictures boss Michael Lynton denied Friday the Hollywood studio has "caved" by canceling the release of "The Interview," and said it still hoped to release the controversial film.

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.