US general says SKorea databases hacked

Jun 05, 2014 by Youkyung Lee

The top U.S. military official in South Korea said a hacking incident might have compromised the personal information of thousands of South Koreans employed by the American command.

Gen. Curtis M. Scaparrotti, commander of U.S. Forces in South Korea, apologized Thursday for the "possible theft" from two databases of private details of South Koreans such as names, contact information and work history.

About 16,000 current and former workers, almost all of them Korean nationals, and people who have sought jobs with the U.S. military in South Korea, are affected by the incident.

The U.S. military said no classified data was compromised as the databases were on a separate network.

South Korean government, broadcasting and finance industry networks have been a frequent target of cyberattacks in the past. Some have been blamed on North Korea, which denies any involvement. Others have been attributed to hackers seeking to profit from data theft.

U.S. Forces spokesman Christopher Bush said an investigation by the U.S. Army was underway to determine who was responsible.

The U.S. has around 28,500 soldiers in South Korea as a deterrent against the North. The 1950-1953 Korean War ended in a truce so the peninsula is still technically at war.

Explore further: Hawaii telescope website taken down in apparent cyberattack

Related Stories

Websites in 2 Koreas shut down on war anniversary

Jun 25, 2013

Major government and media websites in South and North Korea were shut down for hours Tuesday on the 63rd anniversary of the start of the Korean War. Seoul said its sites were hacked, while it was unclear ...

Recommended for you

Hawaii telescope website taken down in apparent cyberattack

3 hours ago

An apparent cyberattack Sunday temporarily disrupted the main website of Thirty Meter Telescope, the organization trying to construct one of the world's largest telescopes near the summit of Mauna Kea on Hawaii's Big Island.

Russian hackers read Obama emails, report says

Apr 25, 2015

Emails to and from President Barack Obama were read by Russian hackers last year in a breach of the White House's unclassified computer system, The New York Times said Saturday.

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.