Ubisoft apologises for Australian stunt bomb scare

May 29, 2014
This file photo shows visitors walking by the display for the game 'Watch Dogs' by Ubisoft, at the Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) in Los Angeles, California, on June 12, 2013

French video game developer Ubisoft apologised "unreservedly" on Thursday after an Australian office was evacuated and a police bomb squad called out in a public relations stunt gone wrong.

Ubisoft, which was promoting its latest release "Watch Dogs", sent a copy of the game in a black safe to a Sydney reporter's office on Wednesday with a note telling them to check their voicemail.

But the reporter at digital media Ninemsn, which does not review video games, did not have voicemail and the safe—"of the type found in hotel rooms"—started to beep when colleagues tried to open it, the firm said on its website.

New South Wales were called to the central Sydney building and staff were sent home after the company found out other media organisations did not receive a similar package.

Officers forced open the safe in the basement of the building and found the "Watch Dogs" game inside. A police spokesman would not comment on the incident.

Ubisoft said the delivery "didn't go as planned" and it was taking steps to avoid similar stunts.

"We unreservedly apologise to Ninemsn's staff for the mistake and for any problems caused as a result," the company said in a statement.

"We will take additional precautions in the future to ensure this kind of situation doesn't happen again."

Ninemsn described the stunt as "ill-conceived", with editor-in-chief Hal Crawford adding that Ubisoft or its public relations agency "no doubt got carried away with their creativity".

Explore further: Ubisoft to unleash 'Watch Dogs' video game in May

add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

'Watch Dogs' video game a sign of the times

Jun 17, 2013

Across the dizzying, colorful show floor at last week's Electronic Entertainment Expo, there were games on display where players could become all manner of things, like a throat-slashing 18th century pirate, ...

Recommended for you

Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

15 hours ago

Japan's biggest newspaper, Yomiuri Shimbun, featured a story about Sony Corp. on its website Friday. It wasn't about hacking. It was about the company's struggling tablet business.

Sony faces 4th ex-employee lawsuit over hack

19 hours ago

A former director of technology for Sony Pictures Entertainment has sued the company over the data breach that resulted in the online posting of his private financial and personal information.

Sony tells AFP it still plans movie release

21 hours ago

Sony Pictures boss Michael Lynton denied Friday the Hollywood studio has "caved" by canceling the release of "The Interview," and said it still hoped to release the controversial film.

2012 movie massacre hung over 'Interview' decision

Dec 19, 2014

When a group claiming credit for the hacking of Sony Pictures Entertainment threated violence against theaters showing "The Interview" earlier this week, the fate of the movie's big-screen life was all but ...

Clooney slams skittish Hollywood after Sony hack

Dec 19, 2014

Film star George Clooney slammed the Hollywood movie industry for failing to stand up against the cyber threats that prompted Sony Pictures to cancel release of the movie "The Interview."

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.