Google eyeing up to $30 billion in foreign buyouts

May 21, 2014 by Michael Liedtke

Google is amassing cash overseas to help finance a foreign shopping spree that could cost the Internet company up to $30 billion.

The potential price tag for Google's expansion plans outside the U.S. surfaced Tuesday in documents disclosing the company's response to recent questions raised by the Securities and Exchange Commission.

Pressed to provide more details about its plans for its overseas cash, Google revealed that $20 billion to $30 billion is earmarked for the acquisition of and technology rights held outside the U.S. The Mountain View, California, company didn't specify a timetable for completing the deals or mention any acquisition candidates.

Google nearly pulled off a major acquisition late last year, according to the letter to the SEC. The company said it was in talks to buy a foreign company before abandoning the negotiations shortly before writing the Dec. 20, 2013, letter. Although the letter is five months old, the SEC didn't release it until Tuesday.

Google Inc. declined to comment on the letter.

Had the potential deal mentioned in the SEC letter been completed, it would have eclipsed Google's largest foreign acquisition so far—last year's $1 billion purchase of Waze, a digital mapping service based in Israel.

Google has spent about $27 billion buying other companies, primarily in the U.S., during the past decade. Its biggest acquisition so far has been Motorola Mobility, a cellphone maker snapped up for $12.4 billion two years ago. Google is now in the process of selling Motorola's phone business to Lenovo Group for $2.9 billion in a deal that still requires regulatory approval.

Besides buying foreign companies, Google also may spend about $4 billion buying offices and data centers outside the U.S, according to its explanation to the SEC.

Google's overseas cash totaled $34.5 billion through March. Another $25 billion is held in the U.S.

Like many other large technology companies, Google has been criticized for keeping money overseas to avoid paying U.S. taxes. Lawmakers in Britain and France also have lashed out at Google for avoiding taxes in their countries by booking revenue in Ireland, where tax rates are lower.

Google has steadfastly maintained that all of its financial reporting complies with tax laws around the world.

Most of Google's revenue comes from outside the U.S.

A proposal urging Google to pay its "fair share" of taxes around the world was rejected by more than 90 percent of the 's shareholders at a meeting last week.

Explore further: Google gets more guarded about acquisition numbers (Update)

not rated yet
add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

'French to make 1 bn euro tax claim against Google'

Feb 04, 2014

French authorities have decided to make a tax claim of 1 billion euros against Google following a probe into the tax strategies by the US Internet giant, Le Point magazine reported Tuesday.

Google paid $151M for Zagat in flurry of 3Q deals

Oct 27, 2011

Google spent more than $500 million to acquire another 27 companies during the third quarter, ensuring this year will be busiest shopping spree in the Internet search leader's history.

Recommended for you

China's Xiaomi raises more than $1 bn in funding

23 hours ago

China's top smartphone seller Xiaomi Corp. is raising more than $1 billion in a fresh round of funding, a move which would raise its valuation above $45 billion, a report said Sunday.

Why the Sony hack isn't big news in Japan

Dec 20, 2014

Japan's biggest newspaper, Yomiuri Shimbun, featured a story about Sony Corp. on its website Friday. It wasn't about hacking. It was about the company's struggling tablet business.

Sony faces 4th ex-employee lawsuit over hack

Dec 20, 2014

A former director of technology for Sony Pictures Entertainment has sued the company over the data breach that resulted in the online posting of his private financial and personal information.

Sony tells AFP it still plans movie release

Dec 20, 2014

Sony Pictures boss Michael Lynton denied Friday the Hollywood studio has "caved" by canceling the release of "The Interview," and said it still hoped to release the controversial film.

2012 movie massacre hung over 'Interview' decision

Dec 19, 2014

When a group claiming credit for the hacking of Sony Pictures Entertainment threated violence against theaters showing "The Interview" earlier this week, the fate of the movie's big-screen life was all but ...

User comments : 0

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.